HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

G200 Crank Pulley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:54 am    Post subject: G200 Crank Pulley Reply with quote

I recently bought a crank pulley from a 1600 engine, with the intention of swapping it for my G200 triple pulley.
If you dont already know, the G200 was produced with a triple pulley to drive three belts from the crank instead of just the one for alternator and water pump. My guess is the three pulleys were for air-con, alt/water pump, and some sort of pollution pump.
When i finally got the crank pulley off my G200 it was a completely different type of pulley to the 1600. It had a sleeve and key-way cut-out that slid over the end of the crank into the block. It only had the main centre bolt instead of the 2 small and one large on the 1600. It weighed probably 4 times as much too - the main reason i was trying to swap it. BTW, a bit of advice on removing it - it has one small hole deep inside on the flat face, if you slide a similar thickness rod or bolt through it you can undo the centre bolt while the rod/bolt stops the pulley from spinning.
Annnnyyywhooo, has anyone come across a single pulley arrangement for the G200 with the sleeve and key-way to slide over the end of the crank ? There must be someone here that has faced and overcome this problem. I want to cut down on rotational mass, the G200 pulley would have to weigh near on 3 1/2 kilo, the 1600 one would be lucky to weigh in at one kilo.

Live Fast, Die Sideways...
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: G200 Crank Pulley Reply with quote

you should have been able to unbolt the extra pullys off the G200 pully? then the G200 pully would just be a bare single pully item?
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: G200 Crank Pulley Reply with quote

I have pulled apart several G200's. Most have had a twin pulley setup, whilst one had a single pulley like a gem.

In every case, the gemini hub that the pulley bolts to was a direct replacement for the G200 one, so you can simply slide on a gem one and bolt it on with the big bolt, and then the two smaller bolts hold on a single pulley.

Ben
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: G200 Crank Pulley Reply with quote

Josh, unfortunately the extra pulleys cant be removed - it was the first thought to mind. But the whole three units look like they are all cast together.

Interesting.... Cheers Ben, i'll have a 2nd look. But from memory (taking into consideration i'd had a beer or 6) the pulley and sleeve were all a one peice arrangement.
The whole unit looked inseperable, the three units were all welded or cast together along with the sleeve to create the whole assembly. When i passed it around to show my mates, we all agreed that it was a 1 peice item - and a heavy sucker at that. It honestly looked like nothing could be seperated, there were no joins or anything of the type.
Is the hub you are referring to on the end of the crank after the pulley has been removed ? As i posted, my pulley has a fairly long sleeve on it approx 5 inches. Maybe that is the hub you are referring to. Is the hub a slip out/slip on type ?
Hopefully i wont need any particular removal tool to get it out/off.
My last resort was to take the unit to a machine shop and get them to cut the two end units off, machine the face, and then balance it.
I think i'll give your theory a try first. The gist i have, is that the sleeve is the hub, i have to pull one out of a 1600, slide it onto my crank, then i can bolt a 1600 single pulley to it. Is this correct ?

Cheers,

Live Fast, Die Sideways...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: