HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

How much 4 a head gaskett

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vll10n
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: How much 4 a head gaskett Reply with quote

Any1 got any idea how much it would cost to get my head gaskett fixed on my TG Gem? Stupid father took it for a drive and blew it now I gotta get it fixed.
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How much 4 a head gaskett Reply with quote

I've been through this and have both had it professionally done and have done it myself.
1st time was professional - i was working 7 days a week so i couldn't be sexed after work to work on my car. It ended up costing me just under $700 drive in drive away!!!!! The labour to remove and refit and re-tune was just under $350. That also included parts such as oil, gaskets, coolant etc. And the head-shop that put an R.V.S kit through it also straightened the head, shaved it slightly on the bottom and the manifold sides, and i asked for a 3 angle valve job on the seats. That also cost just under $350 total.
The 2nd time i did it with a mate, i bought the gasket alone (not a R.V.S kit) for $27,
oil for $30,
oil filter for $8,
exhaust gasket for $10 (left the intake and carb still attatched to the head),
tube of 'Ultra Blue' gasket goo for $15,
some wet & dry sandpaper for cleaning for $2,
coolant for $15,
rocker cover gasket for $8.
As you can see, you can do it yourself for approx. $120.
Much cheaper than a pro job, but i'd recommend getting a kit put through the head if it hasn't been done in the last 18-24 months.
Lastly, try to find out why the head gasket blew in the first place to avoid having another one let go - they dont blow for no reason.

S N 3 A K Y
vll10n
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How much 4 a head gaskett Reply with quote

U r a legend. Thanku so much for that. the thing that shits me is I had a guy lined up to buy it next week. The heads been shaved and it's been ported and polished. My dad's a shit driver so he would have fucked it. Where do u live? Wouldn't be interested in coming to Nowra and helping me do it if I paid u would u? Still work out cheaper than a mechanic. I'm in the middle of moving house so I need all the money I can get.
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How much 4 a head gaskett Reply with quote

I'm on the Gold Coast, i wouldn't have a clue where Nowra is.

S N 3 A K Y
justin ste
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How much 4 a head gaskett Reply with quote

its realy easy i have no idea and i did mine myself it cost me next to nothing and a day but now that i have done it once i could do it in an afternoon and u dont even need many tools
vll10n
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How much 4 a head gaskett Reply with quote

U don't happen to live near Nowra do u?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini parts All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: