HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Painting a car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Painting a car Reply with quote

i might be getting a car that is a very corodded and faded paint with rough bog in places
i know i will ahev to do alot of sanding and stuff but
whats the rough price it will cost to paint
jimbob03
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a car Reply with quote

depends what u prep u do ya self and what type of refinishing products u use it varys heaps
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a car Reply with quote

what happens if hard bog gets wet? do you have to take it off and re do it?
jimbob03
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a car Reply with quote

not 2 sure bud i always grid the surface apply it sand it each it prime that topcaot buda bind finish as 2 ya question i sean it after 2 mounths and it was pelling off i did it 2 a mates car and. 4 could never bother 2 finish the project it was a fuken shame the tori was good as golg no rust but a about 10small dents 10cent size big
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a car Reply with quote

oh ok. coz my car ran out of fuel and it started to rain and the bog is hard but has'nt been painted yet.
jimbob03
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a car Reply with quote

it may pop out it may not i dont know do ya want 2 take a chance dont paint on a humid day u will get orange peel in the primer not a big deal but its a bitch 2 get rid of alot a sanding no fun wastes product+time+money= shitloads if ya keep doing it enough
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a car Reply with quote

thanks
marc_greinke
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a car Reply with quote

hey i know exactly what u are going thru bro... my bog got wet but the good thing is that it did nothin, it just went hard after a while. Doing ure paintjob is preferrably only good to do when u have great sunny days. i did my paintjob on the easter break when it was really overcast and drizzly. The best thing to have on hand for that kind of conitions would to have a heat lamp on hand.overall it cost me about $250 including paint ( i had metallic). it also depends on what products u use. i hope this was helpful

Marc
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Painting a car Reply with quote

yeah this is'nt for a Gemini its for my Kingswood. It needs some rust repairs like most old cars. Kingswoods have quite complicated panels!!! To get a front quater panel off u have to take the bonnet off! Its a pain in the arse so i just leaving them on.
Highlander
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a car Reply with quote

i painted mine with 4 ltrs of metallic acrylic set me back $200 then you need thinners and clearcoat so the metallic doesnt rub out over time bout $300 all up not including the extra litre i got for touchups, grill and side mirrors ect. if you get the show car bug go for 2pac your probably looking at over $600 for everything (hardeners, 2pac thinners) but then youve gotta hire a booth to bake it. make sure the weathers not too windy aswell you lose a considerable amount of spray all the other shit you need can crank up the cost too like primers bog and sandpaper.

hope all of that helps
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a car Reply with quote

Why can't you use acrylic for a show car?

cheers
mooch
jimbob03
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a car Reply with quote

u can thats what they do in the states with house of kolor expensive shit dont atempt it get a pro 2 do it acrilic is fine but ya got 2 buff it and thats the hardest part 2pk is not that expensive about $200 4 the primer,hadner,thiners and then $300 4 the colour,hardner,thiners all depends on the type of paint no point spending shitload if it ya first attempt ya dont need a spraybooth just a dust free garage and to leve it in the sun 4 a while b4 ya paint then after so it bakes on ya need 2 let it dry b4 ya put it in the sun after ya paint or get heat lamps oh yaeh i dont think its leagal 2 spray at hm but that dont stop just dont get caught big ass fine if ya do
Highlander
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Painting a car Reply with quote

or how about the hassle free way in a booth ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: