HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

fuel pump problems or is it??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UaniAndGeMini
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: fuel pump problems or is it?? Reply with quote

ok my last electronic fuel pump died....got a another to put in(second hand) werking normal till today... went to go to shops at lunch started sweet did'nt warm her up properly drove dwon the road ...flat spot then kiked in then flat spot then kiked in then died .....tried starting would'nt start. battery went flat from trying to start..got jumper leads out and then it started and was sweet all day...left werk had same syptoms but not as bad stop and reved for a while then was werkin normal...is my fuel pump rooted again??.does it have sumthign to do with temperature??or charge??could it be somthing in my carbie it has a 32/36 weber??or a dirty fuel line??im bit confused what could be causing this..
sorry bout long post
anyhelp apreciated....cheers
cezar
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump problems or is it?? Reply with quote

how much fuel do you have in the tank? does this happen with a full tank?

when it happens undo your fuel cap then try to start it again but leave the the ignition on for 10 seconds first so the fuel can pump up. maybe you have a vapour lock.

does this happen whan the car sits in the sun..

change fuel filter?

strange thought.... check the fuel bowl of the weber you may have water in it??? so the bowl is only holding 1/2 fuel 1/2 water??

what model gemini I assume early te or earlier...

or even a stick float/ needle and seat next time if the fuel cap trick does not work tap the side of the weber with a spanner. if that seems to work then the needle and seat is sticking and needs replacing.

cheers
Eggy
UaniAndGeMini
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump problems or is it?? Reply with quote

had a bit under half a tank of fuel...i got a 1980 TE....was sitting in the sun for a while...heard petrol vaporizes in lines on high temp days..had new fuel filter 3 months ago..i'll check it anyways also the fuel bowl..
cheers
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump problems or is it?? Reply with quote

is it the standard pump in the fuel tank you replaced?? did you use the same factory pump? also in the black metal box next to the battery are some relays and a big resistor. check the connectors are clean, and the resistor is not burnt looking. if they are not in this location then look under the dash behind the glove box they mount them up high.

also check the alternator connector and make sure it is clean.

they fuel pump runs when the alternator spins so if the alternator stops or dirty connection or accident the pump stops ot avoid a fuel leak.

cheers
Highlander
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump problems or is it?? Reply with quote

just on fuel pumps got any good recommended after market ones ?
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump problems or is it?? Reply with quote

Foset??? i think is the name try to mount on rubber they are fucken noisey thou but cheap and you can tell when you are low on fuel they make even more noise.

bosh efi or holley blue are better but you should use a fuel reg as well to lower the pressure otherwise the carbi will just flood.
UaniAndGeMini
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump problems or is it?? Reply with quote

yeah replaced with the factory elect pump...i shoulda replaced with a new one cos the one i put it is probly just as old as the one that was in there bfore but needed my car going for werk and had one handy..ok will check "the black metal box"etc.. tommoro ...
keep ya posted
cheers buddy
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump problems or is it?? Reply with quote

Hey Eggy, a little while back my fuel pump stopped working and I noticed that the resistor was too hot to touch and looking a little burnt. Is this a common problem or something?
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump problems or is it?? Reply with quote

yeah that was the problem I had a long time ago and changed it all over and away it went again.

when the pump stopped it took the resistor with it. changed em both and away she went.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: