HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

SPEWING!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: SPEWING!!!!! Reply with quote

Ok, this gilmer drive is giving me the heebee jeebees. I can't get enough belt wrap on the alternator to run the supercharger, alternator and water pump from one belt. I can't use 2 3/4 inch belts from the crank either as it won't suffice. - as in run the ancilary stuff like normal and then run a seperate belt from the crank to the supercharger.

What i might have to do is run a v belt for the normal gemi stuff, and then run a gilmer from the crank to the supercharger only, or just all v belt.

It's only for pull value but still. I hate not getting what i want. There has to be a way!

that's my little dummy spit for today.

cheers
mooch
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SPEWING!!!!! Reply with quote

you cant order a larger belt?
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: SPEWING!!!!! Reply with quote

yeah you can many thickness belts, but having enough room on the crank pulley is the problem. Where there's a will....

cheers
mooch
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: SPEWING!!!!! Reply with quote

get a bigger crank pulley then Smile
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: SPEWING!!!!! Reply with quote

thats a bummer
whats the supercharger going on
is this the new project?
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: SPEWING!!!!! Reply with quote

yeah it is. well no totally, there's other stuff to it. like wheels, seats etc etc. lol.

it's my g200 from the wagon, just running a gemispares decomp plate, new rings and bearings, double row chain.

cheers
mooch
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SPEWING!!!!! Reply with quote

What about running an idler/tensioner pulley like most current model vehicles? The belt could be ordered long enough to run the back of the belt round the idler pulley.

Are you mounting the S/C on top of the inlet? See if you can find atricles from years ago on Bruce Smith's "BLOWN4" Gemini Wagon. His was one of the first supercharged 4 cylinders around some 12 years ago.
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: SPEWING!!!!! Reply with quote

Yeah i have the article on blown4, i think he used a 4/71 B&M roots style supercharger with a 465 holley. The traditional way. I'm doing a blow through with the toyota supercharger from the 1G. I was going to adapt the a/c idler pulley for the tensioner on the back of the belt.

It's not smart to use one belt to run everything anyway from what i have gathered in my research and talking to different people. No one does this and it seems there are a few different reasons.

Steve Smith from adelaide also had a blown g200 using the same supercharger. Also with the plates blown4 i believe. An old friend of mine who i havent seen in like 12 months now owns this car, but it's been in pieces for about 2 yrs+.

The more i think about it the more it looks like i'll go v belt for the ancilary components and just use a gilmer for the supercharger, the way the most guys do it with holden sixes too. From the crank to the supercharger.

time for more coffee and HEAD scratching!

cheers
mooch
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: loose the water pump Reply with quote

Get a davis craig electric water pump, you'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone =)
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: loose the water pump Reply with quote

i dont recommend using a electric water pump unless u have it running constantly like a normal water pump. there appears to be lots of problems with the controller for water speed. I dont know if this has been fixed but i know there is a law suit on autospeed if they publish an article on it
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: loose the water pump Reply with quote

hey it was just an idea dood. the law suit might have been because someone used it on a bigger engine and it overheated. gemini engine arnt all that big and arnt really that hard to keep cool
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: loose the water pump Reply with quote

yeah true

mooch maybe see if you could modify the bottom pulley so you can run the belt and belt at the same time. like put the pulley on a lathe and machine a v groove in it?
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: loose the water pump Reply with quote

gilmer belts tend to move around a little from what i've seen and i wouldn't want the v belt and gilmer to touch at 5 grand. Not something i wanna worry about, it has to be reliable as it will be my daily driver.

i'm leaning towards the v belt factory set up and just using a gilmer for the supercharger, isolated on it's own.

cheers
mooch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: