HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Thermostat Temp - Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkangylgem77
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Thermostat Temp - Help Reply with quote

Can someone please tell me what is actually the lowest theromostat you can put in the gemini because the one that got pulled out was 71, but when i went to buy another they gave me a 82 and said it was standard, blah blah, blah and that is not at all helping with my current overheating dramas as it made it worse. Currently no thermostat in car till I find out what is the lowest one.

Another thing the thermostat that came out looked fine, no damage to it and still looks fairly new too but i dont have a way to test out if it still is working properly or not. Meh.

And also, what kind of coolant does everyone else use in there car and is there a real difference in this as well?

Information would be much appreciated and if you could get back to me asap with it because I am determined to figure out this problem THIS weekend even if i blow the god damn budget.

Thankyou.

-Gena
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Temp - Help Reply with quote

The G200 thermostat is possibly a cooler item. I changed mine in my G200 to a G161Z spec item and noticed it warmed up almost twice as quick in the mornings. So, give an auto store a buzz and ask them if the opening temp is the same for all G series engines.
The Gregory's manual states that the G161Z thermostat opening temp is 80.6-83.4c. The fully open temp is 95c.

S N 3 A K Y
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Temp - Help Reply with quote

It's better to have ya engine running hotter than colder, about 88 degrees is ideal. Having an engine block running cold makes the bores wear out quicker. also I use teclocys cootent or howeva u spell it
darkangylgem77
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Temp - Help Reply with quote

Well the one i got was the one they said was standard for all gemini's and if that is right then its the same opening temp as on a 6 cyl torana, or so i have been told.
darkangylgem77
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Temp - Help Reply with quote

Well I would just like to have the car running on a normal temp to begin with but I think its either the radiator cap or radiator itself that might be causing all the drama's. Will know for sure if I get this other radiator this weekend and throw it in, depending on the condition of it first.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Temp - Help Reply with quote

yer fork out and get the top tank taken off and the radiator shop will clean the cores out and put the top tank back on again...
darkangylgem77
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Temp - Help Reply with quote

And how much am i looking around for that if i take the radiator in myself of course? Just so i dont get gipped by these male mechanics here, heh heh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: