HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

oil breather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: oil breather Reply with quote

hey all
i have a stock g161 and its sucking oil into the air filter
so to over come this i wana get a seperate oil breather
is this a good idea or is it just by passing a bigger issue of why oil is goign into the air filter and carby?

also where can i get one i asked at sprints and they dont have one for a gem should i just get one similar size and modify it?

cheers
Andrew
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: oil breather Reply with quote

u mean the small filters for the top of the rocker cover?

u can get the universal K&N ones form auto barn
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: oil breather Reply with quote

yeah thats what im thinking of getting
i will have to go have a look soon as there is alot of oil build up and i think its affecting performance and the air filters getting fucked up really quick

mmmm easy day at work internet browsing
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: oil breather Reply with quote

Speco do one that clamps onto the spout at the back of the rocker cover. But if there's a lot of oil, it might be time to do a re-ring. Blow-by will be causing your problem.
TG Turbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: oil breather Reply with quote

you could make up an oil catch can - this would stop oil being blown all over the engine bay. I made one out of a length of 3" pipe with a K&N filter on top, only cost $60 ($50 of which was for the filter). If you want to stay legal then you need an oil/air seperator that will keep the system closed ie. still vents back to the inlet but oil drains back to the sump.
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: oil breather Reply with quote

so it looks like ive blown my rings then?

how much to be re ringed?

cheers

it might explain that its starting to smoke and ever since one hills run when alot of smoke poured out the back maybe ive stuffed it
GemiNick
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: oil breather Reply with quote

i did the same thing and bought the breather cap but the blow by is so bad that it blew the filter off and oil went all over under my bonnet... i made an oil catchment can out of a plastic bottle $5 from bunnings and used some black hose which i had sitting at home... easy way to fix it in the mean time.
cheers nick
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: oil breather Reply with quote

re doing your rings arent cheap Ive heard..I lost my oil breather somewhere so I just got an elbow-piece of small PVC pipe and shoved that onto the rocker cover. Cheap and dodge but who cares?

Pavlos.
jimbob03
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: oil breather Reply with quote

reringing isnt that much. Rings cost $60 4 standard $110 4 sm performance and ya Vrs gasket set $60 pistons if ya want$120 hone $70 and then ya mechanics fee but ya could do it yaself if u know what ya doing plus ya need the tools gota have the tools
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: oil breather Reply with quote

its time for a rebuild andrew, i was in a similar position except i had blue smoke pouring out of the bonnet.

do u rebuild or do a conversion?

i would suggest a g200 conversion as it will end up costing the same as doing a rebuild of the 1600, allow $1000-2000 if u get it done proffesionally.

cheers,
kev
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: oil breather Reply with quote

screw that
ill just leave it for now it still seams to go alright
then when i sell it clean the air filter on a regular basis and let them work it out

cheers for the help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: