HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

gem on avgas
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TURBO TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: gem on avgas Reply with quote

guys, my 2L is at the engine rebuilders as we speak and is getting alot of shit done to it, one of the things is the compression is being upped to 15:1 so it doing that have been told i must run it on avgas for it not to ping something chronic, there is alot more shit getting done but this is my main concern, anyone done anything like this before and are the benefits worth it? like power increases etc...... has anyone done and do they have figures? thats heaps guys

Hayden
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: gem on avgas Reply with quote

Man thats way high compression.
It's quite hard to get a hold of avgas also unless you have a CAMS licence, and even then you're only supposed to use it at events.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: gem on avgas Reply with quote

thats huge comp. i run 11:1
if its for the street go and run ELF or VP unleaded fuels this may stop the pinging but satill thats huuuuge comp
TURBO TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: gem on avgas Reply with quote

yeh i know mate, its crazily high, theres one servo in canberra where i can get it but this car will not be driven every day, just something fun to muck round in occasionaly
TURBO TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: gem on avgas Reply with quote

another option i had was to run optimax and u can get a bottle of this shit, cant remember what it was though but it was $30 a litre, thats what he said i would have to use on the street, then avgas at events
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: gem on avgas Reply with quote

why so high, drop it down to something optimax can handle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: gem on avgas Reply with quote

Hey Turbo TF, where you getting your motor built at? Cheers Smile
TURBO TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: gem on avgas Reply with quote

gem motorsports in canberra
TURBO TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: gem on avgas Reply with quote

*edit* gem performance
gemicrusier
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: gem on avgas Reply with quote

I take it that its not turbo??? but 15:1 u have no chose but to run it on avgas no chose at all it will not run on anypump fuel even with that additive u were talking about by the way were u refering to TAULINE or something like that as the additive??? I run 11:1 and i have to run on ultimate and even add tauline every now and then yet to run avgas.
Winterheart
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: gem on avgas Reply with quote

Hmmm, don't know them. What's their details\location? I got my motor done out at QIM, but am considering stepping up to a G180, so will hopefully be needing to take another motor to a workshop. Cheers Smile
HOP_A_LONG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: gem on avgas Reply with quote

Heres something to tinker with, in your carb get some harder wearing parts (such as all metal needle and seat) so they can take more of a thumping and dont react with temperatures as much. fill your tank about halfway with premium unleaded then top it up with Aviators juice. Cover all the fuel lines with a heat resistant wrap and/or insulator to keep the fuel cool. With the fuel being colder it will allow more fuel into the combustion chamber and cool the air with the same effect as the fuel. This way you will get a BIG ENOUGH BANG for the C:R and keep the engine temps down which rises with the increase of the C:R. You will just have to spend a lot of tme fart arsing round with mixtures, speeds and timing but its worth it.
GO HARD

LIMPING LOUIE
HOP_A_LONG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: gem on avgas Reply with quote

By the way if you wanted to ditch the idea of it being a street car and run it on the track i have the specs for holleys running methanol.

HOBBLING HERATIO
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: gem on avgas Reply with quote

that's fuck silly comp... due to avgas having lead in it, I believe that you can now only purchase it with a special licence. and if you get court using it on the street there is something like a $10,000 fine!!! I used to mix it with super to up the octaine in my old PV so I could run more advance and it has this sweet smell... Hmm I miss that car... anyway it's great stuff but a pain in the arse when you have to carry some with you and add it when you add fuel, you get some silly looks at petrol stations when you add it first the fill the car up.

I used to buy it at the local airport then it was $0.80/ltr if you purchased more that 50ltrs....

cheers
Eggy
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: gem on avgas Reply with quote

could I run methanol through my fuel return line and put a fuel cell in the boot so when i go to the drag track I just wack on a carby set up for methanol? would that work or isnt it worth even thinking about
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: