HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

will a 1.8lt just bolt in?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RUf_GEMI
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: will a 1.8lt just bolt in? Reply with quote

i wanna no if i can chuck a 1.8lt from a 79 TD straight into a TE without too much hassle. eg pollution gear etc.
1st time gemini owner!!
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: will a 1.8lt just bolt in? Reply with quote

1.8l as in G180Z engine?? If so it will. The TD came out with the same G161Z as you plan on taking out of the TE. The G180Z has been put in the TD at some time. Not original.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
RUf_GEMI
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: will a 1.8lt just bolt in? Reply with quote

i dunno wat it really is. i know its a izuzu 1.8 lt. i wanna pull it from the TD and put it in the TE. does the TE have extra or different pollution gear
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: will a 1.8lt just bolt in? Reply with quote

Does it look the same as the TE engine on the outside??

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: will a 1.8lt just bolt in? Reply with quote

If you look on the drivers side of the engine block, to the left of the distributor and under the front runner of the inlet manifold, you'll see a cast number there. It should show "G161" on the block if it's a 1.6 litre and "G180" if it's a 1.8 litre.

The engine should otherwise look pretty much the same as the TE Gemini engine. The pollution gear is more a matter of what the engine originally came out of assuming it still has the original carby fitted. You should be able to find pollution gear off your old engine to fit anyway.

GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: will a 1.8lt just bolt in? Reply with quote

only G161 have this stamped on the block on the drivers side of the engine. If its a G180 or G200 itll be on the exhaust side.

TE geminis ran no form of pollution gear like the tf/g geminis. Only pollution shit i can think of has to do with lines running from ur cam cover to the air cleaner and other shit like that.

Nick-
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: will a 1.8lt just bolt in? Reply with quote

TD & TE both ran the same pollution gear, that being the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) gear. They ran a pipe round the back of the motor from inlet to exhaust manifold. So whatever is sitting in the TD should go straight into the TE. Chances are it's a 1.8lt Rodeo motor (G180Z), and externally they're identical.
Wanna sell the motor??
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: will a 1.8lt just bolt in? Reply with quote

seeing as the 1.8's are out of the rodeo, then whateva pollution gearing it had, must be running on that engine no matter what car u put it in. because it's a later model engine it will have pollution gear so u wont be able to get around that
cheers
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: will a 1.8lt just bolt in? Reply with quote

Yeah, but the pollution gear off an '81 Rodeo is going to be the same as an '81 Gemini. According to the law, it's illegal to put a 1979 motor into a 1981 model car, but I'm sure there's more than a few TE's running round with TC/TD motors, or mid 80's Rodeo and Jackeroo motors in them without the authorities being any the wiser.
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: will a 1.8lt just bolt in? Reply with quote

That's (TF & TG being different in polution requirements) good to know, but he did mention it was to go into a TE so I gave him the info relative to pollution gear on a TE. Just for the record TE was built between 79 and 81 and it must conform whith the pollution requirements stated under ADR 27A, so in fact a TE would have to be a car running pollution gear.

All cars built in Australia post 7/76 were required to conform to differing levels of pollution control.

Prior to that date, cars vented crankcase fumes, fuel tank fumes, etc to the atmosphere with no restrictions.

RUf_GEMI
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: will a 1.8lt just bolt in? Reply with quote

the motor is a G180 (no. situated under exhaust manifold) it has worked,big cam,1 side draught 40mm webber, extractors, 5 spd. whats ya offer??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: