HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

amp wiring probs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tweakin TE
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: amp wiring probs Reply with quote

hey guys, i put my 2 12's in a few weeks ago to my boss amp. i hooked one up unbridged, it sounded pretty good, then the other and the sound volume decreased dramatically. so i bridged one properly *positive to positive, negative to negative* then the other in reverse on the same channel *positive to negative terminal and negative to positive terminal. so there are two spreakers running on one bridge. will this hurt either the amp or my speakers?

i bought some rca splitters yesterday caus myhead unit only has one rca out. i put one on the rear channel, then one on the front, kept the rear one bridged, and took the other of the rear, put it on the front and bridged that. the front one has alot of high frequencys, like trebles, and it makes it sound a bit how you goin. on the back of the amp it has a switch for full frequency and HPF. i changed it over to HPF, wound it all the way up to kill as much as possible, but it still sounds a bit shitty, any ideas?

sorry about the long post
Andrew
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: amp wiring probs Reply with quote

For subs you want LPF not HPF
High Pass Frequency only lets high frequencies through which is the opposite of what you want for subs.

I don't know exactly why you've done what you have when it comes to briding your speakers. Is it a 2 channel or a 4 channel amp?

If it's only a 2 channel amp then you can only run 1 channel bridged, if it's a 4 channel amp then you can run 2 channels bridged.

What you have done there sounds wrong to me.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: amp wiring probs Reply with quote

if its the amp im thinking of?? chrome with the fann in the middle? 4x250watt???

only 2 of the channels are ment for subs the other 2 for componant speakers. from membery it says that on the side? but read the manual and it will tell u that.

if its no that amp. then bridge it to 2x500. + on + and - on -, NOT - on + at anytime.... u could always

if it is the amp im thinking of, try runing the 2 in parallel off the bridged 2 "sub channel" this is by runing from the - of the 2 bridges, to - of one sub then the + of that sub to the - of the other sub then the + of that sub to the + on the briged terminal
(give me a few minutes and i will draw a diagram)
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: amp wiring probs Reply with quote

woops, i mean "continus" not parallel
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: amp wiring probs Reply with quote

try these. and see which sounds best

http://groups.msn.com/nismogemini/photosofintrest.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=137

http://groups.msn.com/nismogemini/photosofintrest.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=136
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: amp wiring probs Reply with quote

Remember that in this example:
http://groups.msn.com/nismogemini/photosofintrest.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=137
You are wiring in parallel and the resistance will half

In this example:
http://groups.msn.com/nismogemini/photosofintrest.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=136
You are wiring in series and the resistance will double

This can affect your amp and speakers, the speakers should have a nominal resistance printed on the back, and you amp manual will tell you what resistance range it is designed to work in. If you have the manual surely it will tell you how to wire up 2 subs?
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: amp wiring probs Reply with quote

yeah make sure u run the right resistanc, for the subs usually 2, 4 or 6

the amps should be on the box or manual
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: amp wiring probs Reply with quote

yeh as Frederick said, what is the nominal resistance of the subs you are using... if they are 4ohms running them parallel you will be giving the amp a 2ohm load, which some amps cannot take, but running them in series is not efficient, as the power given to the subs is greatly reduced

if your amp has two channels free for subs why not just wire one sub to each channel.. it's not the most optimal but might be your best and safest bet

Cheers
NeWaZ

ps. give us some specs on your equipment so we can help more
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: amp wiring probs Reply with quote

"if your amp has two channels free for subs why not just wire one sub to each channel.. it's not the most optimal but might be your best and safest bet "

lol yeah.. thats the imple solution!! (slipped my mind)

but if the ohms on the amp is different to the ones on the subs then play with the other ways.

also quick quuestion
if u have a 4 ohm amp and 2x 4 ohm subs in parllel, is that still a 4 ohm load or 8??
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: amp wiring probs Reply with quote

2 x 4ohm subs in parallel is a 2ohm load
2 x 4ohm subs in series is a 8ohm load
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: amp wiring probs Reply with quote

yep and an amp doesn't really have an nominal resistance but unless stated otherwise most will not run stable when recieving less than a 4ohm load (ie. 2ohm, 1.5 ohm etc)

ideally an amp that is not 2ohm stable running two channels bridged with 2 subs wired in parallel, you should use two 8 ohm subs to give the amp a 4 ohm load and still get the most power possibe from the bridged channels

hope this helps ppl

ta

NeWaZ
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: amp wiring probs Reply with quote

if he cant simply wire the 2 subs to the amp i think all this jibberish will go straght over his head Very Happy hehe
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: amp wiring probs Reply with quote

hi guys, thanks for your help

i get it all gene lol, i just never done this amp shit before. the speakers are rated at 4ohm, 800watt, and the amp your thinking of is the one i got, a sack of shit. if i was to wire each sub to each sub channel, i'd have to crank the amp, and still it's not loud enough. the way i've got it *think of it this way, i'll start at the + terminal of the bridge* it goes + terminal of bridge, to + of one sub, then the - of the bridge terminal to the - of the sub. the other sub has + to -, then - to +. so i've got one sub bridged properly, then the other on the same bridge with the polarity reversed. i have two wires on each post.

so specs are 2x12" poweracoustiks 4ohm 800watt subs run of 1 boss audio 4X250watt amp with ratings of 4 - 12 ohms. so if i wired it in series to make the resistance 8ohms, this'll be fine. someone said if i do it this way it's not really efficient? is it better than one sub of each channel?
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: amp wiring probs Reply with quote

on sub on each channel will work best. u wii get stereo sound also instead of mono
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: amp wiring probs Reply with quote

yeh the way you have it is in series which is fine, but as i said isn't getting the most out of your subs and amp

as gene said you are probably better off running one sub off each sub channel

i've run into the same prob running two 12's off a Re/Sponse 2*150 amp.. the subs are 4ohm but only rated at 150rms so i run them each off a channel of the amp and theoretically they are getting their rated 150wrms and they sound great

just try the different set ups we have told you and use which ever sounds best.. it is you that will be listening to it!!!

NeWaZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: