HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

DRIFTIN SETUP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: spinning??? Reply with quote

pump up the raer tyres to about 35 - 40 PSI so only the middle section of trad is on the track that will also stop them rolling of the rims... and reduce your traction and make drifting much easier...

cheers
Twisted_torque
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: spinning??? Reply with quote

thanks eggy thats sorta thing I looking for... guess they cant heat up too much either in water... on road with no water they likely to blow if u did burnout though ... I have to be careful ...
Tex
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: spinning??? Reply with quote

SKILL is the only setup required, I had a REALLY shit under powered toyota cressida a rwd one fron 1978, it really sucked! Anyways I was uble to hang it sideways not as nuch in the dry though.
All you have to do is stamp the break just before corner entry to weight up the front and BOOT it, should have no troubles that way!
TGemi1
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: spinning??? Reply with quote

nah, i coasting into the corner, put ya clutch in just b4 corner, rev to around 4g's and just as u start to turn dump the clutch and ther rear end will be out like a snake in no time. b4 i learnt this i would just drive into the corner at around 3500, and as soon as ya turn, pedal flat on the gas u shell be sideways. Need a good amount of power for the second technique tho. Although i was able to do em in the dry with 195's with standard 1600 extractors n exhaust. First technique is much better tho.

chris...
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: spinning??? Reply with quote

thats a dangerous way of doing it.
weight transfer or the "scandanavian twist/flick" is much easer, predictable and saver then just dumping the cluth. and its all better for the car, dumping th clutch like that cant be good for it
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: DRIFTIN SETUP Reply with quote

With regards to setting up your car for the best performance on the skid pan - first of all just rest assured that you will be able to get it very sideways no matter how your car is set up, and not too much you do will effect it that much. But here's a few small tips:

If have suspension choices and are going to play around with it for the weekend, make it as stiff as you can. Soft suspension will give you a lot of body roll as the weight of your car shifts from one side to the other ... but this will get very comfortable after you've done it a few times, something like sea sickness. Body roll will help to flick the back of the car from one side to the other but you wont really have as much control to it, so your likely to end up pointed in the other direction.

Grippy tyres at the front (directional if you have them) are your best option because once you have the front of the car going where you want it, your jobs half done. Back tyres aren't relly as important and they'll slip along the surface no matter what they are. Wider tyres will help you catch the back end a little easier when you want to though. Make sure you have good pressures in your tyres (ie at least 32.)

Nothing will make as much difference though as actually slowing down before heading into corners. The absolute biggest problem people have on the skid pan is getting excited and coming into corners too quickly ... which will put you into a front wheel skid every time, which isn't really much fun or the point of the day.

from.draevon
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: DRIFTIN SETUP Reply with quote

is tehre such a thing as having to much grip on the front. ive got 235/45 firestones and the grip like a drunk guy to his bottle of booze. its nearly easier for my to go sideways in the dry then in the wet
TURBO TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: spinning??? Reply with quote

must say im a clutch dumper
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: shame on u all!! Reply with quote

clutch dumpers!! eviil... would u like to be kicked in the balls?? no,, so dont do it to ya car Very Happy
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: shame on u all!! Reply with quote

i'll ro sham bo you for it!!! ill start first
20PSI TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: shame on u all!! Reply with quote

Well in my DR30 the handbrake doesn't work so I have to compressiony into the corner, bad for the car but works. For eagle on the hill for instance (anyone in adelaide will not what I'm talking about) I enter the corner at around 70km/h 3rd gear down change to 2nd let the revs drop low about 15m before the corner flick the steering wheel, release the clutch then plant the accelerator soon after. from then on it's just a matter of playing with the accelarator, which with no rev limiter sometimes ends in alot of over reving, and finding the right line with the steering wheel. Most of the time it's much the same as the racing line but it depends on the corner.

It's more a matter balls. You have to be committed to the corner if your not thats when you stuff up and do some damage.
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: MAZDA MX5 SPACE SAVER Reply with quote

People,

I'm not into drifting and shit - I prefer real fucking racing out at Mallala where sideways is the slow way, although sideways is fun to watch.

Anyway, I figure you guys have seen driftaaas with their space saver rear tyres on? In fact, I've seen guys with space savers on both sides - I guess he was going out to do some drifting.

So why not buy a pair of Mazda MX5 space savers? They have the 4x100mm stud pattern necessary to fit on a Gemini, and they fucking skinnier than a 145 and are usually pumped to a grand pressure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: