HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

SPEDO PROBLEMS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BADGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: SPEDO PROBLEMS Reply with quote

ey guys i just finished my gem well its nearly there its on the road.
I took it for a drive and the spedo bounces as its going up.
at 100Km its sorta steady but apart from that it jumps up and down?
i replaced the spedo inside to see if that was the problem but it still does it.

any1 know what it could be?
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SPEDO PROBLEMS Reply with quote

what wheels ya running?
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: SPEDO PROBLEMS Reply with quote

Nothin to do wid wheels. Try lubing the cable or replacing altogether.

Cheers
Mooch
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: SPEDO PROBLEMS Reply with quote

errr matt's used to do it with the camira rims but not when he had stockies....
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: SPEDO PROBLEMS Reply with quote

Mere (and i hate this word) coincidence i'm afraid. Check that the back of your speedo cable isnt kinked or on a sharp angle. They don't like that. If you've rebuilt your car i'd say you;ve either dropped the box or the guages at some stage in the build. Just check that they were put back in properly in terms of the speedo cable. It can sometimes bind on itself inside.

cheers
mooch
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: SPEDO PROBLEMS Reply with quote

ok just thought id share something that have experienced that matches symptom, my bad
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: SPEDO PROBLEMS Reply with quote

that's what this site is for.

cheers
mooch
Getafix
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: SPEDO PROBLEMS Reply with quote

yer i agree, you will find that the speedo cable has another cable inside spinning. If this cable is rusted, kinked or obstructed, what happens is the cable seizes inside, then builds up pressure before it gets released, giving the momentary high readings. You may need a new cable, or check for kinks, or lubricate it.

-dave
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: SPEDO PROBLEMS Reply with quote

My old blue Gemini used to do it too - it was the speedo cable working itself out. If I didn't reach up under the dash and push it back in pronto, it would drop out altogether.

The cable may not be pushed onto the back of the instruments - that's another possibility.

I dunno about Matt's problems, Kev. Seems to me that he must have been running square rims for wheels to cause the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: