HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Gemi Problems HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemn8r
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Gemi Problems HELP Reply with quote

hi ppl my gem is starting to piss me off. first the battery goes dead so i charged it and then i went to put it back in and then the wire that goes from the battery to the alternater fries itself when i put the leads back on so i got some new wire and then nothing works at all after i put it back on so i got a auto electrican to have a look at it but he wasn't much chop and didn't do shit to it he told me my alternater was buggered so i got one from the wreckers and nothing still works but if i take the wire off the alternater that goes to the battery it will start so wats the go any help would be great.
sorry bout the long post
Gemn8r.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemi Problems HELP Reply with quote

is your engine still earthed? (im not sure if that has anything to do with it .. lol but worth a look)
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemi Problems HELP Reply with quote

i think so.
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemi Problems HELP Reply with quote

If a wire fries theres most likely a dead short, and don't gemis run the fuel pump on the same line as the alternator, so if it goes dead your car shouldn't start, check a wiring diagram from a gregorys manual and trace everything round there with a multimeter/test light.
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemi Problems HELP Reply with quote

There's a fuesable link between the battery and the regulator - where the fuel pump gets its feed. If something fried no doubt thats been burnt. Check the one on the right hand skirt - attached to the fat loom - as well.

What exactly happens when you try to start it? Does it turn over? Have you connected the little wire to the solenoid on the starter from the ignition?

cheers
mooch
Gemn8r
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemi Problems HELP Reply with quote

when all the wires are conected and i try to start it theres nothing at all no lights on the dash nothing.
van8u
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemi Problems HELP Reply with quote

this happened to me once .... & it all started out by a mare who was being a smartass & pulled the dipstick out & shorted the back of the alternater ! check closely where the postive feeds into the back of the alternater ! make sure where its bolted down the wire is not bent down earthing on the body of the alternater & make sure the dust cap is in good condition ... if it has been shorted it will also blow the regulator bolted just behinde the battery "little black box" pull the plug appart in the harness & check for melting .... dont worry every gem has its days
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: