HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

HELP: Wet Carpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q1K_TG
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: HELP: Wet Carpet Reply with quote

hello all
every gemini i have owned/been in has always had soaking wet carpet after it has rained wether it be the driver or passengers side.
does anyone know how this can be stopped????
cheers
Winterheart
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP: Wet Carpet Reply with quote

Have you considered the following:
Windscreen rubbers are deteriorated\rust around windscreen
Stuffed heater core\hoses
Plugs in firewall\behind guards not completely in place\missing
Door seals damaged\missing
That's the first areas I'd look into. I also used to have the same sort of problem in one of my old gems and it ended up being the plug through the firewall behind the glovebox wasn't seated properly, so anytime I washed the car or it rained, it soaked the passenger footwell. HTH Cheers Smile
Q1K_TG
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP: Wet Carpet Reply with quote

thanks mate
i didnt think of that 1!!
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP: Wet Carpet Reply with quote

Also check the aerial hole and the metal plugs under your carpet if it gets wet whilst you are driving since they might be missing.

Pavlos.
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP: Wet Carpet Reply with quote

Get yourself some brush on seam sealer, rip out your dash and seal every seam. The factory sealant breaks down after a while and causes leaks up around the top of the dash where the skirts mount to the firewall. Common problem with Camira's, Torana's and the like.

Also, check the blower tube seal and around there. Pull the tube out and look for rust there too.

Cheers
Mooch
wharfie
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP: Wet Carpet Reply with quote

also if you take the whole dash out, make sure there are four nuts holding the heater box in. When i took my dash out i found that holden only ever put in two of the four nuts on. I have noticed the same thing on geminis specifically tf/g at a self server wreckers i go to
Gemi 287
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP: Wet Carpet Reply with quote

i had the same porb, i had to take out the windscreen and fix rust underneath the seal, cheap to fix if you know what your doing if not then it is a head f**k
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: haha dodgy holden Reply with quote

Mine was like that too... hey heres a question... My theroy about this water getting into cab is that the water runs down the windscreen into the grill thingy thats under the windscreen and from there it somehow gets into the cab. This fully piss's me off when I bought the car because it was spotless of rust and now everytime it rains i fucking worry about is rusting the floor pans ect ect. So I was gonna fibreglass that grill over and smooth it off with body filler and get it sprayed but yer... does it have a purpose or what??????????

Cheers feellas
FlyinGreenGem
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: haha dodgy holden Reply with quote

gets used for ya heater im quite sure of
then again i could be wrong
wharfie
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: haha dodgy holden Reply with quote

doubt that theory josh, the water runs down two gutters and drains away at both sides of the engine bay, u can follow the water by running a hose on the windscreen. but these leaky gems can get water running in anywhere, water can get into the boot past the rubber seal that fits around the filler neck so anything is possible
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "the grill thingy under the windscreen" Reply with quote

I personally think that the grille at the base of the windscreen is a part of the engine cooling system.
When air passes through the radiator and around the block, it flows back out through those grilles.
If the heated air was left with nowhere to go but underneath the engine bay, a large amount of heat-soak would set in. If you place your hand over the grille with a warm engine running, you'll notice the heat blowing onto your hand.
Easiest method to find a pesky leak, is like the one posted earlier - put a hose on your windscreen and climb into the foot-well with a torch.
Every now and then you might get a leak that only shows up with the car on a hill. My car was is an example, park it nose down and no leaks, but park it nose up and i was walking on water. One of my wiring loom grommets had torn, and with the nose uphill rain pooled into the corner of the fire-wall. If the rain was heavy enough, it would eventually start trickling through the grommet and into the cabin.
You will kick yourself if you mod the grille, and you still end up with wet feet as well as an overheating engine.

S N 3 A K Y
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "the grill thingy under the windscreen" Reply with quote

Thanks man! i'll give that a try
wharfie
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "the grill thingy under the windscreen" Reply with quote

its also to let air in, when u change the ventilation setting from inside the car to fresh air.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: