HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Best way to change starter motor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpower
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Best way to change starter motor? Reply with quote

can sum1 guide me with changing the starter motor on my 82 TE
thanks
overit
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to change starter motor? Reply with quote

disconnect ur battery
undo main feed wire i think 12mm on back of starter motor
unplug solenoid wire thin wire
undo the to mounting bolts and hey presto its out
install is a reverse of the above
anymore ?? just post
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to change starter motor? Reply with quote

easyest way i found ( done it about 12 times) is to get about 700mm of extention so the ratchet is at the front of the motor... you'll have to slide the starter motor out under the intake manafold towards the front of the engine...
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to change starter motor? Reply with quote

Depending on which model intake manifold you have, you may have trouble sliding the starter past the EGR unit on the bottom of the manifold.
I overcame this by unbolting my brake booster unit and moved it toward the guard for more room.
I slid the starter (with alot of cursing and swearing) up past the booster and pulled it out from there. It was a very tight squeeze on the way out but alot easier to slide it back through the same area - go figure.
Some people have used the method of undoing the D/S engine mount and jacking the engine up an inch or two to gain extra clearance.
But, if your particular intake manifold is void of the EGR, then it should reasonably easily slide out underneath it. You may have to twist and turn it for the best position to slide out.
SAM 180
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: EASIEST WAY Reply with quote

disconnect battery, unbolt your engine mount, jack up your motor, take your engine mount off the block (to fit starter motor through gap), undo wires of starter motor, get under car to undo bottom starter motor bolt, use about 100mm extension bar and 14mm socket to undo top bolt, slide it out through gap... then to get new one in basically in same process but reverse, ive done this twice in the past two weeks, takes about half an hour, out and in...
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: EASIEST WAY Reply with quote

yeah unbolt a engine mount and jack side of motor up is the easiest way i know off. but does help if you have some cash and get it done by a auto sparky Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: