HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

went racing this weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: went racing this weekend Reply with quote

well went racing saturday and the bugs reared there head. I couldnt get the car started with the head back on and the big cam in. So i whacked in a standard cam and got ti running at 6:30pm friday the car was supposed be at the track at 4:30. Instead took it up saturday morning with 30 minutes to spare for scrutineering. it passed but with minor problems they were hole in firewall -these holes were for the heater - and a hole in the passeneger side firewall - this was for the radio aerial orginally- and unprotected battery terminals. Went out for qualifying saturday and posted a time of 1:49 in a truly untested car with stock brake pads and in the wet. Basically started fromt he rear of the field. I did a brake change and the stopping power compared to stock pads was very very noticable. In the dry for the first race we came 21st out of 23rd and posted a best time of 1:21 and had a avg of 1:25. I was very happy as we had finished our first race. The 2nd and 3rd race was on today we did a oil change and checked the coolant and she was fine, the oil change solved our overheating problem. The 2nd race wasnt to good i spun on the 2nd lap and lost the keys to restart the car so isat out the race. The 3rd race was a disaster two cars ended in the sand and we had a restart. i got wheelspin off the line and everyone left me behind i did two laps and then all of a suddent eh fire went out and i was rolling to a stop. The race ended and i towed back to the pits and the culprit was the coil lead had came off on the dizzy cap. We ended the day with a finish and 2 DNF's but it was made up by signing poster for everyone Very Happy

So i guess i need to tune the car both suspension and carbies and install the racecam as i was hitting 6200rpm in 4th and i felt the car was down on power anyway.
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: went racing this weekend Reply with quote

Sounds about as good as one of my race days... Never had a problem with my gem in its life, come race day morning the fuuel pump relay shat itself on my driveway and that took me 30 minutes to sort out, then out there on the day my points power lead fell off, while trying to sort out the points power lead I snapped a terminal off the coil so had to replace that also. So ended up missing 1 race. Points suck they kept breaking down at about 5000rpm on the track so I have electronic ignition on there now, havent been racing with it though.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: went racing this weekend Reply with quote

what kind of elctric dizzy do u have?
Germini
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: went racing this weekend Reply with quote

Yeh, good old dave forgot to mention the shit I had to go through while he was out having fun on the saturday. 50m from the track entrance mr tow car decides to leak brake fluid and have no brakes.
Get in, get the gem off the trailer, jack up the 4x4 and pull off the L/H/rear tyre, then the brake drum. Out comes springs and washers and fucking everything else.
Lend MY GEM to daves brother who goes off to wreckers, and spends $200 on a whole fucking assembly, splines, brakes, fucking the whole L/H section of a diff, when he couldve got new shit for $100..... but hey, thats the way it is..
Get it all back together, and thankfully it worked.

And there was some awesome talent there i had to check out as well.
It's a hard job been on a pit crew, but hey, some ones gotta do it.

Haha, goo shit dave, we'll get it tuned and running with the big nasty cam and then go out and start doin 1:10's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: