HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Running stock fuel pump @ 12v

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Running stock fuel pump @ 12v Reply with quote

Who is doing this and does the pump last long? I hooked it up to 12v's today because the weber wasnt getting enough fuel. It fixed the problem but I want to know if it is gonna last or should I get a holley blue or something?

Cheers

Josh
Winterheart
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Running stock fuel pump @ 12v Reply with quote

My TD has been running direct off a fused and switched line to the battery for the last 20 or so months and it's still going strong, however, make sure of a few things:
- make sure you've fused the power wire running to the pump
- make sure you've got it switched
- make sure you don't leave the fuel pump running, as it can will and does flatten a 350CCA battery in less than 5hrs.
Cheers Smile
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Running stock fuel pump @ 12v (Fuse) Reply with quote

What is the amp rating of the fuse you are using ?
Winterheart
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Running stock fuel pump @ 12v (Fuse) Reply with quote

Off the top of my head I think it's a 10amp fuse, tho it may be a 7.5amp fuse - haven't had to replace it in the last year or so. Cheers Smile
rod
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Running stock fuel pump @ 12v (Fuse) Reply with quote

ive measured the current flowing in the fuel pump circuit with my multimeter and i was getting around 1.5amps
so any amp fuse above this reading will be fine
im using a 3 amp fuse
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Running stock fuel pump @ 12v Reply with quote

A simple way to swith the pump is to make the wire that originally feeds the power to the pump trigger a relay, which feeds 12v. That way, the pump is only on whilst cranking, or whilst the alternator is spinning, same as the standard setup.

Ben
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Running stock fuel pump @ 12v Reply with quote

Except in my case inb which the car is a TG so I had to fit the electric fuel pump into the tank out of my TE... I still have all that wiring for the fuel pump that is under the dash but i didnt bother about hooking it up. I just ran a wire from the ballest resister
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Electric vs Mechanical Reply with quote

Should I convert my mechanical TF to an Electric setup? Will I achieve greater fuel flow, and in the process gain a small amount of power from not pedalling a stupid pump?
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vs Mechanical Reply with quote

i had the elec pump in my old gem, didnt notice any difference in power, wouldnt really bother to be honest
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vs Mechanical Reply with quote

You would gain more power from using electric pump over mechanical, but it wouldn't be enough to notice, probably wouldn't even register on a sensitive dyno. I would think the fan would be a better thing to get rid of if you are going to trouble. But it all adds up.

I dont know what each pump flows, but each would be sufficient for use in a good fuel system.

Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: