HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

I need some opinions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: I need some opinions... Reply with quote

Ok, Im picking up a complete TG shell on Sunday and it is in better nick than my TC but heres my question..The TC is running and the TG is (obviously) not running. With the list below, which car would you fix up. People on the last Adelaide cruise would have seen my car (Hones, Dave, Chris, etc).

TG Pros:
Good paint (Green on silver), Good interior, Tacho Dash, L&R Side mirrors, 5 speed, tinted windows.
TG Cons:
Motor not running properly, slight smack in the arse end (taillights about 2cm pushed in), rust in rear floor.

TC Pros:
Lowered, Sports exhaust, decent interior, mags, bonnet scoope, sprayed in tiger orange, brand new door seals.
TC Cons:
bodge paint job, smokey motor, boot completely rusted out, lotsa leaks, gearbox fucked.

I just need some opinions to work with. The thing thats putting me off of the TG is Im not too keen on TE-TG models and the ding in the back and the motor, but my tax is coming soon, and then maybe I gould swap Dave the motor (When its running) + cash for the Twin Cam and dump that in. The bad thing about the TC is the paint, the VERY severe boot rust and the motor.

Cheers,
Pavlos
SAM 180
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: I need some opinions... Reply with quote

here my opinion, in all honesty not just cos i want the TG take all the good bits off of the TG cos honestly it will cost a bit to get the rear end pulled out,honestlty heres what id do, take the morrors of, gemi spares wanted $160 for the pair, make some cash there, put the 5 speed into you TC, take the tacho dash out and seel that, they're worth a bit, maybe even take the motor out and get ot running and do a swap or sell that then seel the bosy to me for as cheap as poosible then i with all that money you just mad you can get a new floor pan for ya boot, and i know a guy that does good paint jobs cheap and i have pics to prove it. all i want man is the body with rego papers and plates, also the engine number, just to put down on the rego... Thanks, basically that solves it. Sam AKA GEM 160
pazzo_gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: I need some opinions... Reply with quote

the tg needs body work anyway. get a cheap stock 1600 for the tg put it on the road and re-do the tc.
or
give the body a quik freshen up(just scotch the exterior, pull of the lights and bumpers mask the glass throw blankets over the wheels and give a quick coat change the dash in the tc, put in the tinted windows re-fabricate the boot floor (easy. i can show you pics of mine), change the box rebuild the tg motor while you drive the tc and when your ready swap them over.

if your not in a rush to do the paint a cheap easy way out is to go to a tafe that teaches spray painting and put your name down for a doner car(or join the class).this way you only pay for materials(couple of hundred tops). some food for thought.
petrozrx@tpg.com.au
RX_GEM
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: I need some opinions... Reply with quote

how do you fix the rusty floor?
SAM 180
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: I need some opinions... Reply with quote

RARE SPARES make steel plating moulded to the contours of the original floor, you just cut out where the new one is to go then weld her in... they're actually not that expensive ay...
pazzo_gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: I need some opinions... Reply with quote

cut it out along the chasis rails and welded in a flat sheet. i even got to lower the floor level creating a boxed efect, great for sub-box in stalls. il take pics tomorow and show you if you like? post your email here who ever wants pics and i shal send.
SAM 180
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: I need some opinions... Reply with quote

yeah pazzo_gems idea is probably cheaper and better, ill have some pics thanks, what gueage steel did ya use... Horsman1@hotmail.com
RX_GEM
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: I need some opinions... Reply with quote

what kind of welder do you use?
i work at holdens and spotweld all day but have access to a mig welder. do you oxy cut the old floor out?

Rotor_Bloke@hotmail.com

thanks
pazzo_gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: I need some opinions... Reply with quote

the steel was just a piece lying in the garage but my guess is it was about 3mm thick?? i just removed the tank(for piece of mind) and angle grinded mine out, would have used the oxy but my lovely litle bro fidled with the taps and emptied the bottles. mig it in much better welds and finish. il send those pics off tomorow
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some opinions... Reply with quote

The TC is gonna cost too much to fix. The rust is not only on the floor, but 3in up both rear quarters and 3in under the taillights. $50 will pull the ding out of the TG and a carby and a sheet of metal to weld into the rear floor pan and put on 2 door seals and the car is probally worth over a grand easily. The TC is worth $600 tops.
pazzo_gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some opinions... Reply with quote

dosent sound like you needed advice then!!
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: I need some opinions... Reply with quote

I had all day at work to think about it and I spoke to a few people about it and I was gonna fix the TC, but I need it everyday for work and cant afford a spray job on my wage, and my old folks dont want another gem in the backyard since there is my dads project coupe sitting out there. I considered all the options and came up with the cheapest option, and that is to fix the TG, which I now find that the dude says that I can take it for $50. and sell the TC to a work mate for his fiance.

Pavlos.
TGCOUPgirl
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some opinions... Reply with quote

They both sound crap and if you have a longer look round you should pick up something mint, but cheap. The money u are going to have to spend isnt worth it. Go find some old granny with a neat stocker and make her an offer...
SAM 180
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some opinions... Reply with quote

so your keeping the TG then???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: