HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

CRX Seats
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: CRX Seats Reply with quote

much like rust3, i'm currently fittin a new set of seats, but from a CRX (which i got for nothing!!!!!!)

i've found that the standard CRX holes are only wider than what the gem's by only like 1 inch. Which means when i cant run the plate aross, like that of rust3, - i did try, but the bolts and runners collide, meaning i can't set the seats right back, which is a real b*@#% when your 6'4".

If i was to drill holes next to those of the standard CRX, i dont think theres enough steel to keep its strenght.

does anyone here, or know of anyone, that has fitted seats from a CRX and how they went about it????????
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: CRX Seats Reply with quote

as posted by adam...

"Don't post here unless you've already done some of the hard yards yourself. Don't post here asking if someone can build something for you. Quite honestly, don't post here if you are a newbie or not technically minded, this forum is intended for technically capable gemini fans to discuss technical issues.

Don't post asking questions about how to fix your car, this forum is for *research* and *development* not to ask about how to change your brake pads or similar.

As part of my current (August 02) policy of zero tolerance, I will delete and/or ban for any breach of these rules.

----------
post questions in the general forum please.
thanx gene
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: CRX Seats Reply with quote

> If i was to drill holes next to those of the standard CRX, i dont think theres enough steel to keep its strenght.

How big are the bolts? They would be around diameter 12 wouldnt they? For a 12 you want to keep above 20mm edge distance to maintain the strength (measured from the centre of the hole)
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CRX Seats Reply with quote

Haven't seen it or done it, but by the sounds of it all you need to do is make the plates thicker (eg. 14mm thick) then countersink the bolts so they are flush with the top of the plate.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: CRX Seats Reply with quote

Bolts would be M8's.

14mm steel would be very heavy and who wants extra weight. If you could find some thick, say 14mm aluminium which is the strong stuff then that would be the way to go. Plus aluminium is much nicer to work with.

The reason I wouldnt do it that way is if you are tall then adding 1.5cm to the height of the seat may not be very friendly. It may not seem much but geminis dont have much room anyway. Adam would know about this coz hes not short haha.
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: CRX Seats Reply with quote

You can't get 14mm flat mild steel anyways. Perhaps some 8mm flat would do the job.
As for an M8 bolt, my charts don't even go that small but you'd want between 15-20mm edge distance from the centre of your hole.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CRX Seats Reply with quote

Er... Yes you can. I've got some in my garage, you can see it if you want. 14mmx20mm... use it for a lock striker, purchased from my local steel merchant.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: CRX Seats Reply with quote

u have to drill ya holes a min of 10mm from the edge of the steel or anyother hole. and u only need to use 3mm plate steel for seat mounts

thats what RTA told me. but a engineer told me u could use 2mm steel but thats like paper if u ask me
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CRX Seats Reply with quote

I'll pass thanks adam. Any ideas what type of steel it is? As I don't have it in any of my catalogues
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CRX Seats Reply with quote

Yeah but do they mean 10mm to the centre of the hole or 10mm from the outside of the hole?
Coz 10mm to the centre minus 5mm (half the 2mm oversized hole) = 5mm of steel and that aint much, specially if using 3 plate. I still say 15mm to the centre of the hole is the minimum safe edge distance for an M8
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CRX Seats Reply with quote

No idea sorry, just went into the steel merchant and asked for 14x20mm plate, used it on a door striker.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CRX Seats Reply with quote

10mm to the edge, not center
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CRX Seats Reply with quote

Ahh, must be some 20 plate cut to 14mm long Wink
Goose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: CRX Seats Reply with quote

thanks for the ideas guys, especially gene fj20det, that first reply was really helpful!!

i did originally try with 3mm steel lenghts, but as i mentioned the runners won't move back at all. And using 14mm would be seriously too thick.

basically, the bolts have to be paralle to each other, and the second bolt head can't be tightened as it sits on the first bolts head - its really that close.

one idea that i'm 'toyin' with is to break the CRXs original welds, and knock the standard plate (and nut) over on just the one side (probably the right hand side, so as to allow for extra room for the seatbelt thingy), far enough to cover this small gap required, then weld it back up.... just hope that if i do go this way, that i don't get the steel to hot and set the the foam on fire... what a waste that would be!!!!

or i was also thinkin that i could 'bend' the mounts on the actual gem floorpan each way, as they may be able to be 'set back' in their original possie.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: CRX Seats Reply with quote

Alternatively, completely refabricate the gemini factory floor mounts, they are far too weak ex-factory, I'd suggest plating a large area around where they attach onto the floor and getting a capable fabricator to knock up a stronger replacement to the 'too thin' original items.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: