HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Isuzu 1600 rebuilds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marc_greinke
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Isuzu 1600 rebuilds Reply with quote

Hey does anyone know where i could get my 1600 rebuilt and bored to 2Litres? I live in Ipswich, so i'd like it to get rebuilt around Brisbane. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Green Machine
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Isuzu 1600 rebuilds Reply with quote

Where abouts you live in Ipswich? Which Gem is your's? i'm a local ipswich gem driver! Mad little cars they are!

Why don't you just put in a 2lt rodeo or jackaroo engine in your gem instead of boring out a 1600? they practically bolt right in!
marc_greinke
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Isuzu 1600 rebuilds Reply with quote

Hey Green Machine, i live in Tivoli, and my gem isnt on the road yet, but will be in a couple of weeks.I would rather bore out my 1600. anyways, what green gemini is yours, there is a few that go lapping and stuff. Also im trying to find some dragways for the beast. could u please help!
Green Machine
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Isuzu 1600 rebuilds Reply with quote

Mine's completely stock, sort of a pale bean green. its an every day comuter... not a lappin gem as such. yeah im a chuwar boy myself. setting myself up to do up a nice Gem for the start of next year. all the usual stuff im hoping, twin webber's, 2lt ot maybe even a newer 2.3 lt not sure hey. what you got going with your gem?
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Isuzu 1600 rebuilds Reply with quote

will a 1600 bore that far? i think u might need a stroker crank to get it to 2 litres. you'd be better off going for a g180 or a g200 but g180's are meant to be better. that way u can always bore them out.
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Isuzu 1600 rebuilds Reply with quote

u can bore a 1600 to 60 thou over G200 specs but only gives a displacement of 1800cc, the G200 crank will go in but will push pistons 3mm out of block and hit the head. so there is no easy way of taking a G161 out to 2 ltrs unless u get custom rods, crank ect ect.
RiCE BOi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Isuzu 1600 rebuilds Reply with quote

This whole 'stroking' a 1600 has got me thinking. As you said, it can be bored to G200 specs but to increase da capacity further a G200 crank will have to be used.
Now, you said that a G200 crank will push the pistons about 3mm out of the top of the block neccesitating custom rods to bring the piston crown back in line. Wouldn't that actually decrease the stroke slightly ?? I have read a fare few posts saying that the G200 has a slightly higher deck height, I assume that this is to overcome the whole piston poking out drama.
So, what is the actual go with this mod ?? Does the capacity really increase to G200 specs if the internals from one are fitted to a 1600 ?? A shorter rod in 'my assumption' would decrease the effective stroke of an engine, therefore decreasing capacity.
Is there anyone on this site at all that can verify or disprove my logic ?? I supose that i could effectively do the maths, but it's been a long time since i toyed with this kind of area (engine displacement), so i'm very rusty and would have to pull out old notes from years ago for a re-fresher.
Anyways, the question is there, and if anyone with mathematical proof of the displacement can help us all out it would solve alot of arguements.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Isuzu 1600 rebuilds Reply with quote

U can do whatever u want to the pistons, it's got fuck all to do with the stroke of the crackshaft
BOB the chicken
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Isuzu 1600 rebuilds Reply with quote

your better off getting a normal g200 and then modding it instead of worrying about boring the g161, less money involved that way
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Isuzu 1600 rebuilds Reply with quote

how about using a g180 crank, but yeah, definately better off using the actual g180 or g200 motor. no headfucks that way.
RiCE BOi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Isuzu 1600 rebuilds Reply with quote

posted by Josh on Sat Jun 28 20:57:47 2003

"U can do whatever u want to the pistons, it's got fuck all to do with the stroke of the crackshaft"

Ummmmm.... Riiiiiiigghhhht, now it'd be nice if u elaborated a bit more to explain what that actually means.
I can understand doing 'whatever you want to the pistons' in regards to shorter skirts and repositioned gudgeoen pin holes, etc, but this would mean custom items. But as far as 'its got fuck all to do with the crank', now you're spinning me out. To calculate engine capacity, the stroke of the crank, length of the rods, bore size, port size, and number of pistons have to be added and multiplyed appropriately.
The G161, G180/G200 have differing cranks to help increase capacity. My initial question was "Does the capacity really increase to G200 specs if the internals from one are fitted to a 1600 ??". My main reasoning for doubting this was the idea of the pistons protruding past the deck height - meaning different items have to be used OR different rods are necessary.
Now i'm not saying that the capacity due to this mod would be more or less than a G200, but in theory it sounds like it wouldn't be. That's why i put it to the rest of the forum hoping for an explanation. As you have nothing construcive to post, i'd suggest re-posting explaining your theory of why it has nothing to do with the stroke of the crank. If you can prove your theory, then that's great as it'll teach a fare few of us something we dont know.
Blue TG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Isuzu 1600 rebuilds Reply with quote

But a crank with a further offset is not only going to travel further up, it is also going to go further down, therefore increasing capasity, shaving the pistion is going to mean the actual top of the piston goes further down too.
You are only thinking in terms of the piston moving up & down, think about the profile of a crank, it pushes the pistons up, but also pulls them down too.
RiCE BOi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Isuzu 1600 rebuilds Reply with quote

True, i can see what you're getting at, now we're getting somewhere.
Do you or anyone else know what the limit is on shaving a G161Z piston ?? Is there enough meat on the crown to get away with a 3mm shave and have a reliable combustion process that will last as long as a standard engine - or will thermal expansion and overheating issues arise ?? Similar to boring a G200 further than 40thou.
As others have posted, it sounds to me like it would be a far better option to slot a 1800 or 2 litre in, as far as time, modifications and money are concerned. Unless you really wanted the G161Z block for sleeper or transport approval reasons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: