HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Retractable Rear Belts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Retractable Rear Belts Reply with quote

I found a set of TE buckles and they fit my VB commy front belts. I am just wondering if anyone has fitted retractable rear belts to a Gemini and how they did it. The only way I saw was to bolt the box thingy with the belt in it to the hole board that coveres the fuel tank, and have the belt go up through the speaker holes and up to the normal seatbelt bolt inside the car. The problem with this, is that with the belt out that far, it hardly retracts, and I cannot have speakers in. Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Pavlos.
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Retractable Rear Belts Reply with quote

I remember someone saying its illegal? I dunno though?

Cheers
TuFf
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Retractable Rear Belts Reply with quote

I know reusing seatbelts is illegal, but I dont really give two shits. I just wanna have a set of seatbelts in the back, since Im missing one. If fitting retractable ones is illegal, I guess Ill be searching for some CHEAP rear belts, or just the one Im missing.

Cheers,
Pavlos.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Retractable Rear Belts Reply with quote

Why dont you just bolt in a set of gemini retractable rear belts. All the holes are there and its legal.
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Retractable Rear Belts Reply with quote

'Cause I dont have any. Actually, I never knew Geminis had retractable rear belts. Ive had a TX,TC,TD,TE must be in TF/TG. Well, finding regular rear belts cheap is hard enough anyways. All I need is one.

Cheers,
Pavlos.
whackenauffe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Retractable Rear Belts Reply with quote

just a question??? how would one go about fitting a racing harness to a gemini and what are the legality's,
TGNVD247
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Retractable Rear Belts Reply with quote

my tg came with retractable rear seatbelts from the factory, they came out in the late 84 models.
Draevon
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Retractable Rear Belts Reply with quote

I just finished fitting a set of retractable belts out of a 84 TG SLE into my TD. All of the holes are there except for the ones needed to actually mount the reel to the parcel tray, but they're easy enough to put in. Just use a backing plate of decent thickness and size on the underside of the parcel tray to toughen it up.

I'm pretty sure that you technically need the get any mods to safety gear checked over by an engineer, but I'm happy with the safety of my work, and I don't think many police officers are going to shine their torch in my car and say "I didn't think pre '84 Geminis had Inertial Reel Seatbelts, Son?"

Just make sure you do it properly because it's your friends that are going to die if you cut corners.

Šraevon
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Retractable Rear Belts Reply with quote

reinforce the rear parcel try like this

http://groups.msn.com/nismogemini/progressphotos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=108

then have 75mmx75mmx3mm plates under the tray also and theres no way those suckers will rip out Wink
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: LOL, WTF?? Reply with quote

"The only way I saw was to bolt the box thingy with the belt in it to the hole board that coveres the fuel tank"

u mean bolt your seat belts (the things that are there to save your life) to a pissy little 2mm thick ply borad thats just sitting in the boot??

hahah theres no way in hell it would hold there. i wouldnt even strap my pet fish to a seat belt set up like that
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: LOL, WTF?? Reply with quote

ahahahahaha
that wouldnt work would it?cuz seats belts dont work on an angle???if u no what i mean
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: LOL, WTF?? Reply with quote

Not to mention the belts would get shreded from running over the sharp edge of the parcel tray all the time
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Retractable Rear Belts Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help fellas.
Now I just have to find belts. Fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: