HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

overcoming the anoying tranny lines on auto's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BILLET_GEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: overcoming the anoying tranny lines on auto's Reply with quote

anyone that has an auto gem and have had to remove the radiator to either flush it or take ur engine out will know the stress and pain in the ass that the tranny coller lines are, so what i done to over come this problem is

get a hacksaw and cut the oil cooler lines approx 2 inch or 5cm from the radiator then cut it again approx 2 inch back from that then get hose and the clamps you use to secure the radiator hose on and clamp the hose in between the lines. then next time u need to remove the radiator you just unscrew the lines and slot it out, saves alot of time and frustration not to mention your knuckles

hope it helps some poelpe
PROJECT_MADGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: overcoming the anoying tranny lines on auto's Reply with quote

Dont for get to flair the ends of the piping and use double clamps or your hoses will pop off. And use 7/16" hose.
rodeo bob
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: overcoming the anoying tranny lines on auto's Reply with quote

better still cut the lines and never hook em back up to the radiator. i bought a 2nd hand cooler from the wreckers for $15. the radiator dont do shit for the tranny anywho. does more warmin than coolin the oil has to be lots over 80deg to be cooled any. your tranny will run hotest under load ie: launching the beast from the lights every time in around town driving or towing. thats when your engine is hottest too. do this and u wont have to go near the lines no matter how many times u remove the radiator.
BILLET_GEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: overcoming the anoying tranny lines on auto's Reply with quote

yeah wish i done it before i desroyed a radiator and tranny :s
ohh well live and learn, spose when u dont have the cash to pay people to do stuff and u have noone to guide u u learn after u kill things
rodeo bob
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: overcoming the anoying tranny lines on auto's Reply with quote

learning is what life's about. most autos dont run that much pressure through them lines so the options are limitless. and all beware those steel lines can rub through so take precautions.
PROJECT_MADGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: DONT! Reply with quote

DONT EVER RUN AN AUTO WITHOUT A COOLER HOOKED UP!!!! you will over heat it and burn your bands and fry your clutches wich may result in loss of gears and possibly screw your valves with particles. AUTOS RUN BEST AS COOL AS POSSIBLE!
It is true that the cooler on the base of the radiator is next to useless but a fuckload better than nothing. A soft or hardd mounted cooler can cost you around $100 for a reasonable size and you will notice the difference. If you have a shift kit or hi-stall of any kind i reccomend that you get a trans cooler before you do costly damage!
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have cooler lines that have damaged ends (the hex face of the nut pieces is stripped) then I have brand new trans cooler lines for sale. These are ex Holden lines deleted from their stock.

Two thoughts about the problem with lines getting damaged to begin with...
1/ Don't over tighten them. They only have to be lightly nipped.
2/ Use the correct spanner to tighten and loosen them. You can buy cheap sets of pipe flare ring spanners that can be used on a pipe nut such as a trans cooler line. Avoid open end spanners because they generally slip and round the hex nut especially if it's been over tightened.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: