HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

spark plug changing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: spark plug changing Reply with quote

I know its a stupid question but we all have to learn somewhere. All i need is a spark plug change tool thing right? do i have to dis connect the battery before i do it? Any more info would be appreciated.

Cheers
TuFf
DOHC_TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug changing Reply with quote

All you need is a spark plug tool (socket). They can come in 2 different sizes due to the 2 different size spark plugz available.(sizes vary between different brand motors)
You dont hav to disconnect ur battery but make sure you have your key turned to off.

cheers
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug changing Reply with quote

And for fucks sake don't over tighten them or cross thread them when puttin em back in, using fuel hose over the end to twist it tight avoids over tightening and locating the thread first avoids crossthreading, basic stuff, but good to know...
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug changing Reply with quote

Thanks Fellas.

Cheers
TuFf
Tex
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug changing Reply with quote

If you use a standard plug for a 1600 its a 21 mm or 13/16 DEEP socket, they are different to std. sockets as they have to go around the spark plug
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug changing Reply with quote

Because the head is alloy and much softer than cast iron, as a general rule of thumb screw them in with your fingers till they wont go no more. Then use the socket to nip it up about 1/3 to 1/2 a turn. Also coat the thread with some sort of high temp grease (bearing grease will do) before installation, this helps to stop them from seizing and helps when the time comes to remove them.
Also as you're a newbie to it, do one plug at a time... example: remove No. 4 lead, remove plug, replace with new item, then replace the lead and move onto the next one. This will avoid putting your leads back on the wrong plugs.
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug changing Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Is there any technical stuff i have to do?
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: spark plug changing Reply with quote

There are only really two technical things you could do when changing spark-plugs, but they're pretty much pointless on a stock configuration.

1) Gapping the plug.
This is where you use a particular spark plug gapping tool to widen or shorten the gap between the electrode and the thinga-ma-bobami-doover (cant for the life of me remember the part after half a carton *BURP*). This increases/decreases the spark introduced to the combustion process. Has it's benefits on warm to hot engines (Boosted engines in particular) as it increases efficiency.

2) Indexing the plugs.
This is where you make all the spark-plugs face their spark in the most optimum direction inside the port, also used to increase efficiency of the combustion process. Bassicaly you get a black nikko/felt tip pen, and draw a guide line on the porcelin of the plug to indicate where the electrode is and in which position you prefer it to face (up or down). You will also need a handful of varying thickness copper washers. You screw the plug in all the way home, take note of where your indicated nikko line is, then apply the washers to the plug to bring the electrode around to the direction you desire. By adding the washers, you are not allowing the plug to be screwed in as far, therefore you can tailor where the plug gap will be facing by varying the thickness of washers added. Most prefer the spark to ignite into the top of the combustion port, as this helps ignite the air/fuel inside the port. Whereas some prefer to face it down at the piston crown believing that it aids in the natural meachanical energy of the process. It's a fairly black art that i doubt has been dyno proven with healthy results, but in theory it sounds the goods. Well it must be for the majority of rail car, funny car and doorslammer engineers to use it religously.

As i stated at the start of this post, these "technical" modifications are virtually pointless on a stock engine. But some people (like myself - even though i haven't bothered with this mod) beleive in the pholosiphy that 'Every little bit helps'. Maybe i'll give it a try on my 2 litre one day and post the results here or in R&D.

Short answer... No, there is no technical stuff to be done. Just remove the old and instal the new.

Jasyn...
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: spark plug changing Reply with quote

I am surprised you can type after half a carton lol. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Cheers
TuFf
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: spark plug changing Reply with quote

As a matter of fact Hot4s did that indexing of plugs a while back, and on a higher performance EFI car it didn't make any diff on the dyno, wheras it did cause a pretty well stock 1600 datto to gain 1KW at the wheels, not really a huge gain, but for the sake of a few washers its basically a free power gain, your personal choice as to whether to do it or not, you won't feel it but it will help with the combustion process...
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: spark plug changing Reply with quote

Can u remember which issue it was ? Wouldn't mind havin a little look-see...
Taa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: