HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

ARGH!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: ARGH!! Reply with quote

TRIED to paint my bumpers again today. I gave them a light sand back and primed them. But in some spots the paint would'nt stick. Although i think i know what the problem is. Last time i painted them black i did'nt prime them. Any ideas?.. Apart from a kick to the head or nuts?

Cheers
TuFf
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Reply with quote

what did u prime em with ??

if they ar eplastic u need to sand em then plastic flexi prime em or the paint with just peel off over time.
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Reply with quote

i just primed them with the Export spray paint the grey primer. I did'nt know i had to use plastic prime. Thanks!!

Cheers
TuFf
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Reply with quote

Make sure you prepwash with prepsol on the bumper first to get rid of any shit such as wax, polish, or armour-all.

Sometimes a light sand isnt enough.
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Reply with quote

Thanks Soop. I wish i knew this earlier!

Cheers
TuFf
rod
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Reply with quote

Yeh fuk . i had the same problem tuff!

there was a minor ding in on my bumper so i decided too tap it out and give it a light spray over with a silver spray can. but 1st i gave it a decent sand back with emory paper until i got too bare metal.

Thinking too myself that the spray would stick nicely too the bare clean metal. "IT DIDNT!!" THE SILVER CRAP WENT ON LIKE SHIT JUST RAN STRAIGHT OFF IT LIKE THERE WAS OIL JUST WIPED OVER IT

So than i decided too use Metholated spirits before hand. and that didnt really help either!
BonnetJizz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Reply with quote

also dude, supercheap auto sells black 'bumper' paint, in cans, mite come in handy
rod
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Reply with quote

nah. my bumper is painted silver
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Reply with quote

My bumpers are black but i want them white. So i will have to get some of that plastic primer stuff. Will the spray paint go on straight over it? I will do 2 coats of the plastic stuff if i have to. Then 2 of white and 1 of clear or no clear?

Cheers
TuFf
Tex
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Reply with quote

2 coats of primer is always good, primer acts as a sponge for the paint. Depending on the colour of the primer you may need 2 coats of white, I would as it gives a better finish. The clear just makes it look like glass when polished up well.
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Reply with quote

cool. So 2 coats of the plastic primer stuff. Is it ok to hit the bumper with a electric sander? There are afew little chunks out of the rear bumper. I was thinking about cutting them out and sanding them smooth and filling it with some bog to the original shape. Will it be noticable?

Cheers
TuFf
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Reply with quote

dont cut, just bog if you have to. wet and dry, primer, colour (id be guessing alpine white seeing as yours is the same colour mine was, invest in some decent paint [ricebarn,etc]) and belt a bit of clear over that
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Reply with quote

i will have to cut some of it though. Coz it has sliced some of it open into a strip that connected along the bumper so i will have to cut that off and bog it up. Will it be noticable? how much is a certain colour spray can? I have gloss white here.

Cheers
TuFf
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Reply with quote

dont rush it; take your time and you should be laughing. you can grab a small can of gmh alpine white (your colour) for 7 or 8 bucks from big w or 14 beans for the bigger can. theres shitloads of different whites, grab the exact same colour otherwise it mightnt look right.

cheers,
justin
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Reply with quote

thanks goons.

Cheers
TuFf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: