HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

valve train gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: valve train gear Reply with quote

hi all,

where can i get an adjustable timing gear for my camshaft from?

crow makes one, but are there any else?

thanks,

rob.
Ron
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: valve train gear Reply with quote

Rob, the Crow one is very good. However, any competent engine reconditioning shop can drill your cam gear to give an extra two holes. The cam needs to be advanced more as the chain stretches. Drilling the extra holes is probably a $30 item.
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: valve train gear Reply with quote

the problem is, i need to have an adjustable gear to within [+/-] 1 degree on the camshaft, with no allowable slip....its kinda sensitive, as i have a massivly shaved head and a crow cam that needs to be dialed in...the cam needs 4deg advance, and the best i can do with my screwy setup is either 6-7deg advanced or 3deg retard....so adjustability is critical.

thanks anyways.

rob.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: valve train gear Reply with quote

Rob, the crow timing set is a good unit, bolts right in, no mods required loke for the twin chain ones. They give either 4 degrees of advance or retard, which is what you are after.

As Ron said though, you could simply spin your cam gear 180 degrees, and work out where the new hole should be to give you 4 degrees of advance. Would be a 30 minute job and you wouldn't have to take the timing cover off.

Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: