HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

torque tubes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue TG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: torque tubes Reply with quote

Another piece of my research and developement lately has been my torque tube. The centre bearing (black part inside the cross member was broken, this is a classic gemini broblem and is all the the blame for rough clunky gear changes and the common accelerate/decelerate shuder or "suddeness"

To resolve the problem i got a torque tube from a wrecker for 30 bucks and before i installed it i cut some pieces of flat steel to slot into the space between the rubber centre bearing and the top part of the cross member, these were then welded in. i used a piece of aluminium slotted between the rubber and the plates to stop the rubber from melting.

Now the torque tube is fairly firm, it doesnt slop around too much but its not rock solid either, the result is a smooth ride, especially when you are just driving around in first gear accelerating and decelerating alot.. eg shopping centres and the like. it makes a gem much more drivable and is actually easier to chirp second too!

bouncing torque tubes out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: