HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Engineers Certificate?!?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toymachine
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Engineers Certificate?!? Reply with quote

I mentioned today to my local mechanic (in NSW), about putting a new engine in my gem. And he told me that to put any new engine in u need an engineers certificate that costs like $350! Is this true or wat? (Remember its in NSW).
markop
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineers Certificate?!? Reply with quote

Dude trust me its VERY true he isnt bullshiting you.
I should know because im putting a 13b rotor in my TD coupe and its going to cost a fair bit for the Enggineers certificate.Sad but its true
What is your conversation?
TGNVD247
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineers Certificate?!? Reply with quote

i think he means putting in a standard gemi motor
markop
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineers Certificate?!? Reply with quote

if its a standard motor you dont need a certificate for shit all,that motor enginneer mustnt know what he is talkin about then because he is bullshiting the poor guy and trying to make money off him.
toymachine
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineers Certificate?!? Reply with quote

It was a conversion to a Rodeo 2.6L, so i'll beleive him now.
TGNVD247
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineers Certificate?!? Reply with quote

yeh i wouldnt argue if that was the case
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Engineers Certificate?!? Reply with quote

Yeah, thats unbelievable. They should do several hours work for you for free!

BTW, we charge $450 minimum (VIC)
Menace
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineers Certificate?!? Reply with quote

Hey Ben Wright, how much do you charge for an engineers certificate for a v6 in a gem. And what mods must be done to it to comply. eg, brakes, etc...
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineers Certificate?!? Reply with quote

no ones knows the right rule, i put a g180 in my gem in qld and 1 person at the transport departement said i need a compliance plate and one said i didnt. but got one anyway just to be on the safe side
Tex
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 Conversion Reply with quote

Hey
There is a web site for all your needs, its www.v6conversions.com might be .au as well I cant remember. They have kits for sale and it outlines the cost for everything. There is also a heap of stuff on the site if you search for it
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineers Certificate?!? Reply with quote

Basic cost would be about $600 - $650 +GST assuming it needs brake testing. I dont know the weight of a G161 and of a V6 off the top of my head.

I would recommend anyone wanting to perform this conversion talk to an engineer to find out what is required, before balzing ahead, and then possibly having to alter things later.

Ben Wight
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineers Certificate?!? Reply with quote

Rod hadfield told me the V6 is actually lighter than the G161 as its alloy. As for brakes he would pass one with his kit which conatains 276mm rotors and HQ callipers, Hoppers Stoppers also told me the rears are fine. Rod also suggested if you wish get a weighbridge cert and a brake fade test done before and after the brakes are done that should satisfy any engineer...
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineers Certificate?!? Reply with quote

This is the biggest problem with having different registering authorities in each state, each one thinks that their rules are the best and they each differ from the other. What might be legal in one state, becomes unregisterable in another state because their view of what's legal is different. Here in Vic. the standard rule is more than 10% increase in either power or capacity in an engine conversion, requires an engineers report. So that means anything over 1760cc!!

Go figure...

Yonnee.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: By the way... Reply with quote

Going on that same rule, my VH Wagon needs a engineers report for the 308 that's in it, because until VK, wagons only ever came with 4's, sixes, or 253's. 253 + 10% = 278.3, smaller than 308!!!

Dumb rules hey?!
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reddez... V6. Reply with quote

Stuck a magnet to a V6 block lately. Alloy heads and manifold, yes. But not block.

Cheers, Yonnee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: