HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Upgrade Suspension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoupEME
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Upgrade Suspension Reply with quote

I have a TX Coupe and want to put in RTS does any one know how to do this? and how much it would cost? approx
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Suspension Reply with quote

dont all geminis have rts??
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Suspension Reply with quote

Awww Gene, I can't believe you don't know the answer to this!

No they don't, especially ill handling cantankerous TX biotches without swaybars. RTS came in 78 with the TD, from memory.

To answer the original question, I doubt you could retrofit RTS suspension. There were slight geometry changes involved, and you would be better off fitting aftermarket gear like Whiteline. The performance will be outta sight better too.
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Suspension Reply with quote

well ya learn something new everyday dont you, i always thought all gems had RTS!
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Suspension Reply with quote

what did the tx/c's have?? are they visually differnet???
im new to the tx/c/d. im a tg boy Very Happy
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Suspension Reply with quote

you have gone to the dark side
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Suspension Reply with quote

From what I remember reading, RTS was the utilisation of radial tyres and swaybars.

I aslo remeber reading that TX-TC lower control arms are different to later model gems. Come to think of it, I also remember that springs might be different too.

From this logic, you could probably say that the early model springs were slightly stiffer, to try and reduce body roll, whilst the swaybars took care of that in the later models. Or at least different springs, given that the lower control arms are different.

Ben
CoupEME
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Suspension Reply with quote

Thanks Guys
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Suspension Reply with quote

RTS was the utilisation of radial tyres and swaybars

?

isnt it Radial Tuned Suspension?
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Suspension Reply with quote

thats what i thought 2 gene (and still think)
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Suspension Reply with quote

yeah thats what it stand for. what ben is saying is its tunes for using radial tyres and swaybars. I always thought it was just a gimmick of holden anyway...
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Suspension Reply with quote

TC's came with a sports suspension option, A9R
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Suspension Reply with quote

My TC Sandpiper Coupe has A9R on the compliance plate.
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Suspension Reply with quote

I know that the TD onwards series had radial steel belted tyres, but can anyone have a squizz under the front end of their later TE/F/G gem and see if they can find a radius/castor rod of any kind ??? Maybe 'Elky' can as he has a few wrecks of various models laying around in his backyard.
I had a quick look at one (ZZZ) when i was out cruizing one night, but it was too dark to see anything or make anything out. I already found out that the swaybars can be retro-fitted, but is there actually radius/castor rods that were fitted to live up to the R.T.S badge ?? Interesting...
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Suspension Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry Gene, it does stand for Radial Tuned Suspension, but the physical changes were radial tyres, and sway bars.

Its just a coincidence about the Radial Tyres & Swaybars (RTS) thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: