HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

NEWBIE needs a hand...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Te_Andrew_GC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: NEWBIE needs a hand... Reply with quote

hi guys. i am slowly moving away from restoring my stock as a rock TE to mod it a bit. the stock 1.6 is a might gutless piece of machinery, and i was wondering what a good engine mod would be, that has a bit of grunt, nothing spectacular, but is also reliable as a daily driver. i dont want to turbo it, and not really drag it, just something with a bit of go. i have seen rodeo engines being tossed around in here a bit. how much would this cost to get it put in and all that associated shit. i'm a total mechanical newbie, so it's all gonna get professionally done, caus i'd have no idea what to do lol.

also, are there any major things i need to change in converting the stocker to the rodeo engine? like the path of the exhaust and all that.

one last thing, i fuckin hate the pin stripes down the side of the doors, can i take em of without ruining the paint, if so, how?

thanks heaps

AndrewTE
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE needs a hand... Reply with quote

g'day mate,
welcome. you can drop a g180 or g200 (rodeo/jackaroo) engine in without any modifications... they are a straight drop in. The manifolds from the g161, g180 and g200 are all the same aswell. these engines might set you back about $600 on average. depends on the condition though and if you can find one. if i was you, i'd be dropping in something like a 12a rotary engine. they put out 84.5kw standard and have a lot of potential. also, there is a kit on the market now to drop in a 3.8L v6 engine out of a vn commodore, the kit is available from rod hadfield and costs about $1200 + engine + getting a mechanic to put the engine in the car... all up would add up to about $2000 - $2500. a standard vn v6 engine in a gemini will run 13.9 1/4 mile with standard driveline.
good luck, hope that helped a bit,
cheers,
mat
Te_Andrew_GC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE needs a hand... Reply with quote

hey mat.
my brother had a series 3 RX7 with a 12b, he blew the engine 3 times in as many months, so i'm not the biggest fan of em. the V6 seems to costly and the insurance for a first car for an 18 year old would be fuckin stupid. so i'm thinking the rodeo engine is the way to go. is there anything u can get bigger than an g180 or g200 *are they 1.8 and 2 litres respectively?* someone said on here something about a 2.3? whats the legal capacity under the small car scheme *? i think thats what it is* of a TE? are larger 4's in a gemmi reliable as daily drivers?

thanks for your persistance, i'm really fuckin clueless, but i'm learning
Mr DOHCT
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE needs a hand... Reply with quote

ive got a 1.8L twin cam 4 sale but thats probably too much $$ for what u are willing to pay
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE needs a hand... Reply with quote

ok a 12A rotor conversion or a V6 conversion is WAY overkill for what you want. If you dropped in a G200 thats in good condition and put a weber on it I'm sure you will be more than happy with the performance. They bolt straight up and most parts are interchangable with the standard gemmi engine.
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE needs a hand... Reply with quote

you can get a 2.6 and a 2.3 litre engine but they are not straight drop ins i don't think. the g180 and g200 are 1.8 and 2 litres respectively. they will be reliable too.
Wagonslut
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE needs a hand... Reply with quote

or the cheapest way out would be.... webber, exhaust and cam! ware u from? im sure some local hotgemini boys could fit the webber for ya for a small fee, cam possibly(not as hard as u think) all these mods should satisfy u and could be done for less then 500 bucks!
Te_Andrew_GC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE needs a hand... Reply with quote

hey man. the g200 seems the best go atm, as well as the one bluebanno suggested. i live on the gold coast, so yeah, any of the hotgemini guys wanna do it for me, i'll pay, if i can watch, caus i really wanna learn. i'm in a social circle of musicians, so none of us have any knowledge of cars, which kinda sucks, as i'm the only one of us who gives a crap about my ride.

how much for the g200? are they easy to source? thanks for elpin a newbie
andrew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: