HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Wheel nuts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murph
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Wheel nuts Reply with quote

I just bought a set of camira sle rims and went to put them on when I found that the stock wheel nuts wernt gonna work. I bought a set of mag wheel nuts but Im not sure if they will be to long. if so the guy said I can take them back.
But would It be safe i mean no risk of a wheel coming off or anything if you use a washe and turn the nuts around so you have the flat side facing the wheel?
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel nuts Reply with quote

I'm not sure i fully understand what youre trying to do, but if you are talking using the washers as a form of spacer, to sit the rim out from the hub its not legal, put extra stressing on the studs, etc and can be dangerous as the nuts are not screwed onto enough thread. You can buy spacers already made up though, but it should fit anyways as many others have done it...
Mr bayce
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel nuts Reply with quote

you can do that if you want the car to shake and vibrate when you drive it.

the bevely thing is on the nut is to center the LARGER hole in the wheel to the smaller size stud. if you turn the nuts backwards and use washers, it wont be centered and will probably be unbalanced and vibrate. i havnt seen your wheels but thats what happens when you do that to wheels that use beveley thingy nuts.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel nuts Reply with quote

Wheels have two ways of centering them on the hub. Either on the raised section of the hub and using the rims bore to centre it, or using the wheel nuts and the bevelled edge hole like has been said.
turning the studs aound wouldn't be a good idea as they held there and not loosening due to friction. If you use a washer then there is very little surface area between the rim and the nut, meaning very little friction to stop them working loose.

Thats assuming thats what you meant.

Loz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: