HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

BRAKES
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: BRAKES Reply with quote

theres been alot off take about brake upgrades the last few weeks so heres my 2cents on what i know. hope it helps some of yas out.
--------------------------------------------
hopper stoppers do a kit with vx commodore calapers for $770, $950 with vented disks and $1200? with slotted and cross drilled.
this includes everything to bolt straight on.

castel main rod shop do a kit with all the bits and pieces for $250, but u have to supply HQ calapers and falcon disks.

dba221 disks with the hub machined out to suit the stub axel, with vb-vp capapers, on TX 2 peice stud axel. then u need a braket made for the calapers to suit (a guy in perth sells the brakes with the 2 piece stub axels for $400+p/h)

a mate of mind uses audi disks (4x100) fitted straight onto the stub axel after a small bit off maching to the axel. then fitted VK-VL calapers with very small mods

thers a guy (MARK) on here who does vn calapers and disks for $400 ish (havent seen him for a while tho)

on my coupe i am runing:
FRONTS: vl calapers and audi vented disks
REAR: vl calapers and disks

hope this helps
gene
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: BRAKES Reply with quote

how hard are the vented audi disk to find? and how much?

also do you know how big the rotors are compared to standard gemi ones
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: BRAKES Reply with quote

there brand new disks, so no there not hard to find. there 265mm dia, i dunno what the gemi ones are. u wil need 15" rims to run this setup.
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: BRAKES Reply with quote

so where abouts did you get the disks? and how much?

im running 17's the thats no prob =)

i was thinking on going with dba crossed drilled and slotted, but ive heard they crack
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: BRAKES Reply with quote

dunno, the guy who made the brake setup for me got them
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: BRAKES Reply with quote

and i dont know if he would give me the part number as it could cause him to lose business, so to speak. but i will ask him for yas
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: BRAKES Reply with quote

Hey Rust,
Try Harding European at Archerfield, ask for Andy and tell him Ross with the rally Gemini sent you over.
Cheers
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: BRAKES Reply with quote

thanks. if not ill have to go dba or commodore
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: BRAKES Reply with quote

where abouts is archerfeild? im in newcastle
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: BRAKES Reply with quote

its in south brisbane
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: BRAKES Reply with quote

they are disc off an audi quattro 90 they are the same as gemini discs just bigger diameter (265mm if i remember correctly) and ventillated you can get them through DBA
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: BRAKES Reply with quote

from dba pdf book...

part no dba241 (add "u" to the end to get them undrilled)

spces...vented, 256mm wide, 47mm high, 22mm thick, 68mm center hole, 4 stud (unsure of offset)

available in slotted and cross drilled....
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: INFO ON BRAKES REAR DISCS Reply with quote

i found this info reguarding the commodore rear brakes...

If, for example, you want disc brakes all round, it is easier and more cost effective to buy the brakes, and install them to the differential you already have. The differential housings do not change between disc and drum brakes. Backing plates, handbrake cable, discs and calipers will fit in place of drum brakes, but axle bearings will be needed to accomodate discs, as drum and disc axle bearing seals are different in thickness.

so u need to change the bearings to sit the disc in the right spot... this also applies to geminis because they have the same diff mounts for there drums as commodores..
20PSI TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: BRAKES Reply with quote

Apparently there is a 12 month wait if you are looking for undrilled 241's as they are not a very sort after rotor being from Audi's. So the closest thing is 730 Holden Apollo rotor 255mm diameter, 47.5mm high, 22mm thick 54mm center hole. So only the centre hole needs to be machined out to fit the hub. And only 0.5mm out in height which shouldn't make a difference in fitting as some machining is already necessary to fit a comodore caliper. My local DBA dealer had these in stock undrilled as these are the ones they give to all people with geminis doing upgrades.
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: BRAKES Reply with quote

Isnt da Holden Apollo just a rebadged Toyota Camry ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: