HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

how to get rid of the horrible gemini exhuast note

View previous topic :: View next topic  
austin
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: how to get rid of the horrible gemini exhuast note Reply with quote

firstly i have no mig welder & have done this same mod many times with an arc welder !!!! it just takes patience..
you need to get under ur car & measure the length of the muffler that is in front of the diff on the car , keep this measurement with the outside diameter of ur pipe aswell !!!
now go to an exhuast shop & get a piece of pipe the length of the muffler the same diameter & get it flared both ends to fit over the diameter of ur existing pipe!!!
get to exhuast hangers wile you are there that clamp under U-bolts type & universal bolt to the floor etc other side..
now shop around for the cheapest 2&half inch muffler that is straight in offset out ....rare spares i usually get them for $25 each ...cheap..
now armed with hacksaw , chop out ur 1st muffler & put ur filler peice in you got earlier, cut off the muffler hangers from the old muffler & weld to the filler pipe you just fitted....
now for the tailpipe , measure the new muffler & take note where its going to fit under the floor , hack off the old tail pipe !!!!!! next you have to slot the end of the muffler that you are going to fit to the tail pipe , for it to crush down to the 2 inch gemini size "becarefull as you are gonna weld these slots up " now place the muffler under the car & bolt up the u bolts either end even tho there is no pipe comeing out of the muffler as it is now the tailpipe , place the hangers under the U-bolts & do them up but not tight.. push the muffler up to where you think it sits nice & take note of the exhaust hager brackets !!! they will be to long & you will need to bend the 90degrees to to bolt them to the floor ... undo the clamps , bend the hangers , bolt it all up tight this time , push them up against the floor mark where you need to drill the holes , drill through "the holes come through the spare wheel well" place bolts with large diameter washers "to stop the bolts pulling through the floor" tighten it all up & now weld up ur splits in the muffler to tailpipe crush .....
ok the sound you will get is pretty much the same as a high dollar late model injected car & with a nice boomy note to it.... Power & performance ? on the dyno i picked up a huge 13 hp & even better 19 pounds of touque at the rear wheels with a noticeable reduction in fuel economy...
hope its of use to someone:)
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: how to get rid of the horrible gemini exhuast note Reply with quote

i dont get it?? i just put a nissan engin in and a 3.5" manderal bent zorst on Very Happy
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: how to get rid of the horrible gemini exhuast note Reply with quote

ahh ok. lol had to read it again, now i get it ;)lol
BTW: good idea
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: how to get rid of the horrible gemini exhuast note Reply with quote

an easier way....chop exhaust of at diff.

seen it done, sounded alright i guess. shame it was an auto though
crazy n disturbed
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: how to get rid of the horrible gemini exhuast note Reply with quote

or you could go get a 2" exhaust from what eva that exhuast shop is in moss st, neva heard a gemi sound like that, stock as a rock, auto witha 2" sports muffla with 3"tip and fuck its loud! put it on extractors n it'll b louder, oh n that shop dont rip u off either, u dont need it they wont give it to u, they're pretty good like that.
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: how to get rid of the horrible gemini exhuast note Reply with quote

Has anybody tried replacing the centre muffler with a hot dog, so you end up with 2 hotdogs? I reckon it would sound much better
Mr bayce
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: how to get rid of the horrible gemini exhuast note Reply with quote

my girlfriends car came with that set up (with extractors)and it sounds like shit! dont bother
workedTE
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: how to get rid of the horrible gemini exhuast note Reply with quote

i say extractors and 2" lukey system fixed mine:)... straight out of a bin too Wink... well, the exhaust was from a bin anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: