HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Overheating Trouble...please help :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasabi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Overheating Trouble...please help :) Reply with quote

Hello...
well, heres the story so far.. I have flushed the engine block, flushed the radiator, run the car without a thermostat, put a new one in, replaced my radiator hoses, and the car still comes up hot as all hell on the temp gauge. I drive for about 10 mins doin about 100k's and it goes 3/4's of the way to the top towards H on the gauge.
There are no signs of Water in my oil, so I may not have blown my head gasket. What could it be? Could it be that I have a warped head inside and a little bit of water is getting in? Or do I have a (sigh) cracked head internally??
Cause this problem is giving me the shits!
Recently I put on a nw fan belt aswell, and it has the teeth on the bottom, not a smooth surface like the old one I have..but I dont think it would be slipping, its pretty tight.
OR.....Could it be a short in the wiring Under the dash? This morning my fuel guafge went all gay and went baqckwards instead of forwards, and yeah, when it rains, a bit of water gets under the dash...so maybe this could be my prob? I have no idea, the whole car is fucked...

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
Bern
bootcharGe
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Trouble...please help :) Reply with quote

i had the same problem for the last coulple of weeks, but i hardly drove it so i didnt worry about it, till i gave it too much shit on a hot day and it finally over heated and died, the problem was a head gasket, there was no water in my oil either, the gasket blew between the cylinder and the water jacket, so compressed air was going into the cooling system. to check if you have the same problem as me run your car when it is still reasonably cold with the radiator cap off and see if the coolant is preshurised or if there is a shit load off bubbles coming up, also check if there is steam coming out of the exhaust. or it could be like you said and the guage is fucked, you could allways invest in a fancy after market temp guage and mount it on you'r bonnet and while your at it add a bonett vent, bonnett pins, boost guage( just incase some nice gypsy mounts a turbo on your gem one day), then add a massive stainless muffler, becouse as my mate says "you'v gotta have your wank factor"

hope this helps,
bootcharGe
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Trouble...please help :) Reply with quote

It may simply be that the normal operating temperature of the engine is at the 3/4 mark on the gauge.

The best way to tell is to warm the engine up untill it is at this 3/4 position you are talking about, then remove the radiator cap, and check the temperature with a thermometer. If it is over about 90-95 degrees, then it may be too hot, if not, then simply your gauge is a bit out of calibration.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Trouble...please help :) Reply with quote

Moisture from the exhaust is a normal thing I think.
Blue TG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Trouble...please help :) Reply with quote

only sometimes on startup, its due to condensation, not all the time tho
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Trouble...please help :) Reply with quote

Yah thats what I mean, condensation and water sits in the exhaust and spits it out on startup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: