HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

my gear box is whining like a b*#ch !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyr0
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: my gear box is whining like a b*#ch ! Reply with quote

ok like it says my gear box is whining as i go up through the gears Y ???? and how can i get some sort of oil in there to stop it from whining so much.

pyr0
P.S its a standard gemini 5 speed
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: my gear box is whining like a b*#ch ! Reply with quote

take off the shifter, pour oil in the hole
pyr0
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: my gear box is whining like a b*#ch ! Reply with quote

what type of oil ??? is there gear box oil ??

thanks
pyr0
crazy n disturbed
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: my gear box is whining like a b*#ch ! Reply with quote

your gearbox could be on the way out too, apparently thats the signal that your box is goin, there is 2 plugs in the bottom of you gear box, take the one on the bottom out to drain it, and take the one out of the side to fill it, they're a pain in the ass to get out but yea, and get a good gearbox oil, go to repco and ask for a gearbox oil to suit a 5speed gemini box.
orangeTD
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: my gear box is whining like a b*#ch ! Reply with quote

i say you go in through the shifter opening. id use a hose connected to a funnel to fill it up. goin through the side plug you cant fill it as much as it needs as it keeps pourin out as u try and put it in.
badboygem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: my gear box is whining like a b*#ch ! Reply with quote

the side hole is the "optimum" level.....if you can undo it and stick ya finger in and pull it out and there is oil on the end of ur finger then it has enough oil in it......u shouldnt over fill gearboxes!!!
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: my gear box is whining like a b*#ch ! Reply with quote

Prolly a dumb answer but has the rubber boot on the shift come off ? I had a drive in a gem once and the interior was a bit dodgy and the shifter just came up through a hole in the floor with no rubber boot on it. It was very noisy but covering it with ur hands made it a hell of a lot quieter so thats how I knew what the noise was coming from.

Then again, his box coulda just been screwed.. the rest of the car was ! Razz
TGNVD247
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: my gear box is whining like a b*#ch ! Reply with quote

that's where an oil pump cums in hand (did mine yesterday throw the gearstick) but if ur hole car isnt striped like mine u wood have 2 take out ur console and shit,y do that if all ya have 2 do is take one bolt out of the side?
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: my gear box is whining like a b*#ch ! Reply with quote

5 speed isuzu gearboxes take SAE30 engine oil
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: my gear box is whining like a b*#ch ! Reply with quote

It could also be a bearing, if the oil change doesnt fix it, either a new box or a bearing kit may fix it, havent really played with the boxes much to really know specifics but. Exactly how does the whine sound??? Worse in any gears? Under load? Constant and increasing with speed? With clutch on?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: