HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Wont Idle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Wont Idle Reply with quote

heres the go, still trying to get the TC that i bought to run properly. plugged the cold idle compensator (i think thats what its called?) into the extractors, everything seems to be connected properly but still no go; when you release the throttle it stutters and turns off. any ideas?
blocked fuel filter? fouled plugs? help im know fuck all lol

cheers
Winterheart
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont Idle Reply with quote

Start with the simple things, like checking the plugs and the points. Then work up from there. If you've only just got the car, then I would really recommend doing the basics anyway, ie new points, plugs, rotor button, dizzy cap, fuel filter, oil change and oil filter change etc. Cheers Smile
lennonjw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont Idle Reply with quote

check the carby mate, thats the first thing that springs to mind. maybe the butterfly isn;t adjusted properly and is chocking the engine at idle. it should be 6-7mm open from memory...????

Chris
pig75
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont Idle Reply with quote

if its a stock carby. make sure the fule cut-off solenoid is working. its just above the throttle cable if it dont work it wont idle
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Wont Idle Reply with quote

Remembering that im still new to this shit, would you be able to explain a tiny bit more?

butterfly : how would i go about checking/adjusting it? if it wasnt properly adjusted i would
have thought it would have flooded the engine with petrol, which would make it run really rich
wouldnt it?

and as for the solenoid how do i go about checking if thats servicable?

sorry for being a ball breaker guys, cheers
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Wont Idle Reply with quote

i had this exact problem in my TG, it was when the carby was taken off the car when the motor got re-built, it was put upside down, and all the shit in there got in2 places it shouldn't have been. after a few cans of carby cleaner and about 15,000 fukin revs, still no go. got one from wrecker, runs perfect.

chris.
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wont Idle Reply with quote

i checked this in my great voyage 2 fix me gem, take it apart, conect a battery to it, and a little pin should open and close, i mean come in and out. talkin bout the selenoid thing.

chris.
Kizza
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont Idle Reply with quote

on your carby theres an idle stop soleniod, and if it is not connected the symptoms are exactly what you describe, it will run fine with your foot on the excelerator but as soon as it gets to 1100rpm or lower it will cut out, it is a black and green wire from memory, check this and see if it makes a difference, if all else fails, a new carby outa do the trick.
hope this helps
leslie
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wont Idle Reply with quote

kizza did u get ur car fixed ????? hope to her from u soon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: