HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Flame/sparks from aircleaner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Flame/sparks from aircleaner Reply with quote

I just bought a TC Coupe and tried starting it last night. end result was a flame/spark flying out of the aircleaner and car cutting out. Any ideas why? my uncle thinks the timing could be completely wrong and it could be sparking on the inlet stroke? any ideas?

cheers
edgie
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Flame/sparks from aircleaner Reply with quote

yeh i'd say timing as well

edgie
Smokey
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Flame/sparks from aircleaner Reply with quote

it sounds like someone has connected up the spark plug leads up incorrectly. if the car sounded like 2 pistons were firing then only two are mixed up. have a play around you should be able to fix it up no worries. if that doesn't fix it up then you're in for some fun... Smile
Smokey
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Flame/sparks from aircleaner Reply with quote

just went and had a look at my dizzy. the correct order (when viewing from left hand bumper) is
1 2
3 4
the piston closest to the firewall is piston number 1. with a bit of luck you'll have her purring like a kitten in no time. by the way if you're going to start playing around with the old girl, i highly recomend getting a gregory's manual.
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Flame/sparks from aircleaner Reply with quote

The firing order is 1-3-4-2 and 1 is the plug comming off your distributer closest to the block. I think perhaps major timing issues. I had flame comming out my carbies when I threw my twin webers on, looked pretty tuff heh.
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Flame/sparks from aircleaner Reply with quote

Yeah i do have the gregorys manuals but im still pretty new to this shit so yeh. We got it running (fuel pump was disconnected from back of alternator) and the timing was fixed so that it doesnt throw flames out anymore (still backfires out from there tho so im guessing it still needs adjusting?) oh and number 1 is closest to the rad. support isnt it? because when the crank wheel is lined up with TDC on the block the piston closest to the rad support is at the top of its stroke...sorry for the long post

cheers n thnx 4 replying
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: