HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

cd player prob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: cd player prob Reply with quote

when music is playin, it is fine, but when the beat comes along the light on the cd player dims. fkn annoying, it flicks to the beat, but not flick it dims. does anyone know what could be the problem, caus ive checked the wiring, but havent tried different earths yet. could that be the problem.
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Ask Gene the Great Reply with quote

seems like a battery prob,

get some silastic and paste it on, haha,

nah if its too the beat its prolly draining power, assumin you are running speakers off the head deck??, and turnin them up and tunin alot of bass to them is the cause to power drainage,

otherwise ask the great Gene, afterall he is GOD in some way

regards
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ask Gene the Great Reply with quote

alot of head units do this, iv have 4 in the past 2 years and they all did it. its a power problem Very Happy (bigger autlinator and priccy battery will help).
but think yourself lucky Very Happy i was running 1300 watts in my gemini and not only did my headunit fade to the beat but so did my headlighs and instument cluster. even on my silvia it gets slight dimming in the headlights when the bess hits. the amps are just draining to much power
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ask Gene the Great Reply with quote

If you're running just speakers off the head unit and not an amp then you shouldn't get fading to the beat unless its not a real good head unit or your car has pretty weak electrics (most likely the problem). Try a better earth and that usually fixes the problem, I have no dimming problems and I'm running 4 speakers off the head unit and 2 subs off a big amp. If a decent earth and power wire doesnt fix the problem then I guess your electrics are just worn and you could try mask this problem by installing a bigger alternator and battery.
Cammo79TE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ask Gene the Great Reply with quote

my old colt had always had a weak alternator... and the stereo was the only thing to suffer. the back speakers put out full bass and mid, but no treble. I thought my speakers were fucked. finally the alternator shit itself and i got one from another colt which had done 70,000ks. all of a sudden the speakers cleared up in the rear and i got perfect sound out of them. I know its a gemini forum, not a colt forum, so i'll stop now. I just found this strange. has anyone heard of this?
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ask Gene the Great Reply with quote

i have almost the same setup as 82Evo, just have a 50x4 pioneer deck running 4 6.5", and a 400w amp running two kenwood 7x10s. my wirin n shit was done top notch, and i have no probs. some things i did, used thick ass wire for the power for the deck and amp. they were seperate wires for each, with 30amp fuses hooked up to each. the earth for the deck and amp was put in the same place to prevent alternator noise, and the earth spot was all ground down to bare metal, and painted over with sound dedener. also put the rca cables on the other side of the car to the power and earth to not cause interference.

so yea, try hook up all ure wiring again, and go for quality wire, coz wot good is a big amp with shonky wires.

chris.
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ask Gene the Great Reply with quote

u need to get a bigger alternater , happens to me too, my headuntit just shuts down then startup again a second later when i cranks the 900w sub up, get a beta altenater or get it recoiled, dats what i gotta do.

chris...
Cammo79TE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ask Gene the Great Reply with quote

my mate had a problem running hte sound system in his camira... and he went to the auto electrician and he was given 2 options. expensive one was to get the standard alternator worked, better internals, doubling hte power of the alternator, this was gonna be just over $50. my mate took the other option, which was to get an alternator from a car with alot of assecories and get it adapted. he got a vl 5L alternator for $20, and payed the auto electrician $10 to adapt it on.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger Alternator Reply with quote

Did your mate find that after the new one was fitted, the charge light came on at idle and dimmed off on acceloration and driving ? I had a slightly bigger alt installed and the charge light comes on very dimly with my lights on and idling, it comes on slightly more wit the heater on as well. But once i start to take off and cruise, it dies off.
The auto sparky i used said that if i had've gotten a bigger higher amp unit, the charge light would bassicaly always be on below approx. 2500rpm. It wouldn't have a problem or not be charging or anything, he said that the charge light would bassicaly be on as a side effect ????
The guy i used seemed a bit non-helpful, so there was prolly something he was leaving out to get the most cash from me, well... either that or he wasn't too clued up on his profession. The amount your mate was charged was approx. 1/4 of what i forked out... Not Happy Jan!!!
So, how did your mates alt swap go as far as the charge light coming on ? BTW, i have a 60amp SIV RX-7 alt lying around in the garage (same as in the workshop article), i may fit that if you can enlighten me on this situation a little.
Cheers,
Jasyn...
Cammo79TE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger Alternator Reply with quote

i havent really noticed that the light stays on....
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger Alternator Reply with quote

Basically the higher up in amp output you go, the faster the alternator has to be spinning to work properly. So with a higher output alternator, at lower revs it actually puts out less than a lower output alternator would be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: