HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Is it worth getting a thermo fan??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baycie bayce
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Is it worth getting a thermo fan?? Reply with quote

my car overheats when sitting in traffic and i was wondering if a thermo fan would make much difference. i would probably leave the motor fan on and put the thermo on the outside of the radiator and just switch it on when the temp gets up near the red mark...
beasty
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth getting a thermo fan?? Reply with quote

Thermo fans do have there advantages. I have a thermo fan on my gem and has made a diffrence but i dont have motor fan on any more. I took it of take a little bit of stress of my water pump.(i have 4zc1 in my gem and the water pumps are only avalable from holden at $495)
peteymate
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth getting a thermo fan?? Reply with quote

having 2 fans would probably restrict flow, becuase the radiator cools when air flows through it, not just blowing on it. IF u did put 2 fans on it, i would suggest having them rotating in the same direction so that they dont both blow on the radiator, have it so one sucks air from the front, and the back one sucks air through also otherwise they will cancel each other out.

thats my 2 cents, correct me if im wrong guys.

Pete
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth getting a thermo fan?? Reply with quote

i reckon it would with constant stop start driving its a pain in the ass
baycie bayce
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth getting a thermo fan?? Reply with quote

yeah the motor fan sucks throught the radiator and onto the motor and the thermo i just put on blows through the radiator so they are both helping each other
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth getting a thermo fan?? Reply with quote

Yeh its worth it, I just have a single thermo on my twincam and no engine fan and it cools the engine very quickly.

Worth it indeed.
baycie bayce
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth getting a thermo fan?? Reply with quote

what sorta thermo you got? i thing mines 12" and it doesnt do much it still creaps up to the hot mark when sitting at idle when the thermo's on!! But it gos down to below half on the highway... which ways the fan blowing on yours?? is it on the inside of the radiator sucking through?
TX III
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: yes! Reply with quote

do it, you'll be glad u did!
bung a switch in the cabin somewhere and flick it on when temp rises above normal running temp...
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: yes! Reply with quote

they have normal running temps???
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth getting a thermo fan?? Reply with quote

Yeh mines a 12" its mounted in front of the radiator and blows air thru

If you have it on the inside it just takes hot air from around ur engine and blows it back through which is no good.
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth getting a thermo fan?? Reply with quote

Baycie, if it still gets hot even with a thermo fan on it then maybe you need to flush out your enging block, radiator & heater unit as well. Or maybe you just need to buy my spare coupe coz I don't think it gets got Smile
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth getting a thermo fan?? Reply with quote

Some thermo's can over-come this problem by flipping the fan over inside the unit to draw air instead of blowing it. Alot of the Davis Craig stuff has this option so they can be mounted either in front or behind the radiator.
Jasyn...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: