HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

how u can tell when ur springs are cut??????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H3PPZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: how u can tell when ur springs are cut?????? Reply with quote

i just bought a TG gem and when i lift the car up at the back the springs fall out of place does this mean the spring have been cut or not?????? how much will i be looking at for a second hand set of pro lowered rear springs????????????
GemFactor
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: how u can tell when ur springs are cut?????? Reply with quote

Look at the end of the coil, especially if theyre painted it willbe obvious for metal which looks like its been cut, if your lucky theyve at least done it with a hacksaw and not a fuckin gangle winder.
H3PPZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: how u can tell when ur springs are cut?????? Reply with quote

yeah mate i have and they are clean cut but they still keep falling out every time i jack up the back end
TX III
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: how u can tell when ur springs are cut?????? Reply with quote

just jack it from the diff, and dont go gettin airborne over intersections!!!!

seen a VK commodore with chopped springs get airborne, whilst in mid air, springs fell out then CRUNCH! the bottom of the boot was almost touching the bootlid!

NOT NICE!
GemFactor
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: how u can tell when ur springs are cut?????? Reply with quote

Tie them in if your worried
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: how u can tell when ur springs are cut?????? Reply with quote

nah fuck it.

nothing duct tape wont fix.
GemFactor
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: how u can tell when ur springs are cut?????? Reply with quote

damn straight....

Bodgy boys anonymous
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: how u can tell when ur springs are cut?????? Reply with quote

ppl, even if u get proper lowered springs, without the shorter shocks, won't they still fall out?
TX III
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: how u can tell when ur springs are cut?????? Reply with quote

i reckon velcro would be good!

that way u can take them out if you need but they shouldnt just fall out!

nannas in,
Matt
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: how u can tell when ur springs are cut?????? Reply with quote

yes that is true i got told this by a guy at pedders but he seamed to make it sound liek only the back shocks had to be the short ones for lowered springs or maybe he just thought
lowering=rear only

Andrew
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: how u can tell when ur springs are cut?????? Reply with quote

i reckon all u guys should put a "centrelink peformance" sticker on ya cars ya bodgy tightasses, do it right and u won't ever have any problems.

chris...
Mr DOHC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: how u can tell when ur springs are cut?????? Reply with quote

the back springs will fall out if you get seriously airborne. lowered springs are close to if not the same size as a standard spring. its just they compress more. chopped springs (especially if u chop around 3-4 coils will fall out as soon as you go over the slightest bump....you will have to replace the rubbers nearly every month hehe
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: how u can tell when ur springs are cut?????? Reply with quote

When you lower the car you are supposed to match your shocks to the springs, otherwise you will fuck the shocks in no time as they will be operating outside of their normal range. The lowered springs actual length is shorter although they have the same number of coils as a standard spring, but will be either a harder material, or have different characteristics to the standard shocks, hence the fact of not only a lower, but harder ride. The lowered shocks will hold the springs in the correct position throughout all of the suspensions travel. However if only the springs have been changed they will drop out easily, or if theyve been chopped even easier. The front will not fall out anywhere near as easy (unless chopped), trust me getting the bitches in and out of the front is a task, Actually have a look under the car and you will see how the front are held captive, whilst the rears are only seated in position. Sorry bout the long post but there seemed to be a lot of confusion here...
GemFactor
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: how u can tell when ur springs are cut?????? Reply with quote

dont generalise mate just because we give advice doesnt mean we practice it, my gem has lowered pedders
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: