HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

what should i do

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peteymate
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: what should i do Reply with quote

right, im not a dumb shit with no idea about my stereo, but im lost as to what i should do about it. Recently it has just started to distort and pop. I have a brand new JVC head unit, 55wx4 Blaupunkt amp for my pioneer splits and JBL 6x9's, and a 120wx2 Apline amp for my dual voice coil Clarion sub. As i said it just started to distort, and i know its becuase the sub just draws too much power. On my old head unit it didnt do it cos it had low voltage RCA's as my new one has 4v pre-outs which would cause the sub to draw more power.

Should i buy a new battery, and if so what one should i get? I just cant see a new battery making a whole lot of difference, as mine at the moment is really old. Only would be a few years at the most. Also could it be the alternator not charging it enough? Should i get a new alternator, and if so would an alternator from a commonwhore fit my RB gem?

Anyway, i know the speakers are distorting cos of a lack of power cos when i turn the gain down in the sub either fron the head unit OR the amp i can crank the speakers a shitload and tthey go very good.

Thanks, Pete
peteymate
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: also... Reply with quote

all the above wattages are RMS, so its not that the amps or the head unit cant produce enough power. I know they can go a lot more than what they do now as i have heard them do it.
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: what should i do Reply with quote

i say re-do all ure pos and neg wiring, and speaker cables, and get ureself some thick shit.

chris.
peteymate
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: what should i do Reply with quote

already done that
Knobby
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: what should i do Reply with quote

try getting a piece of 4 gauge wire, and make another earth off your battery (ie. connect it to the negative side of the battery, and then bolt to to the car. make sure to sand away the paint where it will be bolted to the body, bolt the wire down, then just spray paint over the bare metal. it might be wise to do this to the point(s) where you have your amps as well. One other thing to note... do the cd's get really hot? its possible the amps inside the head unit are overheating... something to think about anyways. hopie i helped...

...knobby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: