HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Performance Filter or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
viper1555

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Performance Filter or not? Reply with quote

I know this is a bit of a technical question and i wasn't sure whether to put in the General or Technical forum
but thats a whole nother story....
I was thinking of changing the standard air intake on my TG Sedan to a K&N performance filter so the car can breathe better because i do alot of 100km/h driving (and its only a 4speed). I was wondering if it would affect the tuneing of the car as in the air/fuel mixture would need to be changed (which i dont know how to do) or if i would need to fix the timing or if nothing has to be done at all if it is changed.
a mouthfull i know but i dont want to spend $100+ if its gonna be more trouble than its worth.
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Filter or not? Reply with quote

get a radiator recore if your that worried bout cooked your engine, i can sit on 140km/h all day, without it gettin hot, i got a recond' engine 1600 and a recored radiator,

chris...
viper1555

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Filter or not? Reply with quote

It's not so much the Heating issue. I fuigured it would be a cheap and relativly easy mod to do at home. i'm only 17 and don't want to piss the insurance companies off to much. I just wanted to find out if there were any minor or major side effects to putting one on. If it was just a bolt on a the job is done or if things needed to be ajusted if it was connected.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Filter or not? Reply with quote

Mostly it will just change the induction sound, possibly make it rev a tiny bit harder.

Take off your air filter and rev your engine, you will notice it revs a little harder.

Worth doing i guess but dont expect a huge amount of performance increase. Mostly just the sound.
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Filter or not? Reply with quote

I put a 9" K&N in mine (redline filter assembly on a 32/36 Weber). It made a little difference. I was mainly concerned about sucking dirt and dust in my engine than anything.
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Filter or not? Reply with quote

b careful if u put 1 on cause if the pigs see it they will the the full search of ya car 2 defect u, though.

chris...
MrSHADOW
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Filter or not? Reply with quote

Go buy a cheap and effective Ramflo air filter, $35 last time i bought one, works well, and on a car that isn't flowing massive amounts of air the K&N isn't good bang for buck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: