HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

clutch prob.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:48 am    Post subject: clutch prob. Reply with quote

i was doing some lineys last night with some mates when i realised there was a bit of a prob... cuz of the gem pedals being so damn close together i'm pretty sure i had the foot that was on the brake a touch on the clutch as well... so when i was done the clutch felt like it was just a lose pedal with nothin connected to it and the smell was STRONG...

anyway i drove home and the pedal was still extremely spungy and lose but it still drove pretty much fine.. after a couple of hrs sitting at home it still smelt faintly

any ideas as to what damage i've done.. permanent or what???

i don't know much about clutches so any help would be appreciated

cheers
NeWaZ
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch prob. Reply with quote

u fukt the clutch, wore it away dued, if when ure drivin 2nd or so, and u punch the accelerator, and the car cathes it revs, but doesn't seem to go much faster, u clutch is slipping coz ure burnt it away. and the smell, it was prolly ure clutch, coz clutch burnin fukn stinks like hell.

chris.
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch prob. Reply with quote

u fukt the clutch, wore it away dued, if when ure drivin 2nd or so, and u punch the accelerator, and the car cathes it revs, but doesn't seem to go much faster, u clutch is slipping coz ure burnt it away. and the smell, it was prolly ure clutch, coz clutch burnin fukn stinks like hell.

chris.
wagonnnne
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch prob. Reply with quote

yeah, can you say bye bye clutch? lol. you might not have ripped it entirely to shreds, if as the last post says it slips when you punch it in low revs then its pretty much rooted and needs to be replaced (you dont want to be going up a hill and find out your clutch cant take the load Very Happy)

Its not too much of a hassle to do your self with a few mates. just get it up on stands rip the gearbox of and bolt it up. Im sure someones put a more detailed explanation in here somewhere in the past. A standard clutch kit costs you about $120 from repco or you can go for heavy duty type one for around $400 (i think?) might be a good idea if you love thrashing the shit out of the poor ol girl. If you dont want to do it yourself workshops will probably charge between 300 to 500 to have it done for you (standard clutch).

Almost forgot!!! in the gregorys manual it says to test for clutch slippage jack up the back of the car, put it in fifth and drop the clutch. If the car doesnt stall straight away, the clutch is slipping, and needs to be replaced.
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch prob. Reply with quote

thanx man it aint slipping yet so i hope that means its not fukt yet... but yeh there was a fair bitta burning went on... ahh well... approx how much for a new clutch??
2lowbluegem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch prob. Reply with quote

i did huge line locker, melting the bitumen aswell down the main street. not realising that i burnt out the clutch. got the car back with a mate, took the gearbox to take out the clutch, couldn't find it. it was as if i had shattered to pieces.

basically, get someone else to replace the clutch for you, if you dont know how. might set you back a bit. its easier for them to do as it can be a pain in the arse to fix. also try getting a stonger clutch,

cheers
20PSI TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: clutch prob. Reply with quote

nah id say do it your self thats what owning a gemi's all about. If you dont know what your doing how else are you going to learn.
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: clutch prob. Reply with quote

yeh 4 sure josh, i hate all those wankstains who get mechanics to go all theirs mods and shit, and then they think they know everything but .....there just dumasses.

chris...
GemFactor
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch prob. Reply with quote

Or if you really cant do it, get someone who can and watch them, ask questions and generally be a pain in the arse so you know it yourself for next time!
Steven
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch prob. Reply with quote

if you are going to pay for repairs you might as well drive a wizmo. Gems are a piece of piss, some tools and a gregorys. Make sure you bath in copious amounts of gearbox oil so others can appreciate you did it yourself.

Before diving in with change though, check adjustment. The manual will explain more, basically if you grab a handful of clutch cable in the engine bay and pull it, you should have 5 - 10mm freeplay seen at firewall. This is freeplay between throwout bearing and diaphram. With any luck all youve done is glazed the faces and worn some kays off the plate eliminating freeplay, this would give spongy feel as you over drive diaphram.. Is your clutch engaging higher than norm??
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch prob. Reply with quote

yeh man it seems to be engaging just a little higher than before.. but not anything drastically different... just a touch.. i don't think it is as bad as i first thought...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: