HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Engine/Tuning Help Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draevon
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject: Engine/Tuning Help Please Reply with quote

I need some tuning help for my 1600 please.

My car was running fine but hadn't been serviced for a while so I thought I'd fix it up a bit. I replaced plugs, points, leads, dist. cap, rotor engine oil, oil filter, coolant and fitted a new 9 inch chrome air filter. I adjusted the timing and idle and had a bit of a play with my fuel mixture screw until I thought I had everything running nicely.

However things aren't quite as good as they should be. Most noticably, when I'm accelerating hard and get about 4,700, my car just looses all power and it splutters and carries on. Also when I take of in first, the car starts to take off, looses power for about half a second, then accelerates like normal. None of this happened before I tuned it, so I've obviously got something wrong.

Fuel economy is the best it's ever been though so I'm thinking i need to increase my fuel mixture ... can anyone else help me out with what's going wrong?

Thanks.Šraevon
lowrideTG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/Tuning Help Please Reply with quote

the fuel mixture screw on your carbi is ONLY for idle, to increase fuel mixture you have to get bigger carb jets. at 4,700 it really sounds like its your secondary jet/throat on the carby, i had this problem for a while, i have quite a bit of experience with carbs, my suggestion is remove the top and clean everythng! it may only do it now after you tuned it, but it doesnt take much to set it off. the way it loses power at take off is usually to do with a small pump that squirts a bit extra fuel down the primary throat when your throtle opens, try taking off really slow, accelerate steady, it all goes smooth then its defnately that pump mechanism. you say you changed the air filter, id say crap got in the carb when you did that, thats a common cause for both these problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: