HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

possibly stupid electrical question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: possibly stupid electrical question Reply with quote

can i put an on/off switch on the remote wire for my amp?the
battery goes flat quick when you run the stereo with the engine off (obviously, derrrr), so is this possible? cheers, justin
TX III
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: possibly stupid electrical question Reply with quote

yep....
wagonnnne
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: possibly stupid electrical question Reply with quote

yeah piece of piss i did it the other day. its mounted next to the gear shift. But i was thinking about getting a spare rear demister switch and hooking it up to that and installing it next to the demister switch thts already there. Just that little bit neater. get rid of the demister symbol on the amp switch tho.

Just an idea.
Knobby
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: possibly stupid electrical question Reply with quote

just make sure when you do it, to insulate the back of the switch, my cousin didn't do this and the switch shorted out on the body and blew the amps in the head unit, cost him about 80 buck to fix, but it happened twice before he told me about the switch, we checked it out, and thee were all burn mark on the body of the car... electrical tape can be a very useful tool most of the time...

that said, its not strong enough to hold a grill to a car...

: P

knobby...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wagonnnne
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: possibly stupid electrical question Reply with quote

i dont see how it could have blown the amp crcuits in the head unit. The remote line isnt even connected to any of the amp circuits in the head unit, it just carries a small voltage signal to tell the outboard amp when to switch on and off. Even if the wire shorted on the body the worst it would do would blow a fuse. So i take it your either talking about putting a switch in a different line (maybe a high level speaker output line?) or the head unit was of very poor design and didnt have inbuilt fuses.
Knobby
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: possibly stupid electrical question Reply with quote

i think the explanation is something to do with the rca's... i couldn't be bothered typing much more hey... but we got rid of the switch, and it was all good
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: possibly stupid electrical question Reply with quote

thanks lads- i have some of those red light up switches for my neons, so ill just chuck it in next to that. i think ur assuming i have a t series gem, but i have an rb. thanks for the suggestion though. cheers,weeksie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: