HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

anyone know

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tassiete
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: anyone know Reply with quote

if you can fit commodore disc brakes on the front of a gemini or does anyone make a fitting kit for the these brakes
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone know Reply with quote

also can u fit em to the back 2? what the easiest disc braqkes 2 fit , can u do it you self, or is there machining involved?

chris...
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes Reply with quote

This is a sort of compilation of disc brake upgrade posts that have been posted...

CRS (AKA Castlemaine Rod Shop)
The only disc kit available for a Gemini that we make is a Ford 5 stud unit from XW-XY-XA. Cost of kit $250.00. You supply the
rest. It is quite a poplar swap and they stop O.K.
There are three companies and one individual who can offer brake upgrades, 'smart automotive' or something to that effect, just gemini spares and the castlemaine rodshop... also mark (who frequents these forums) from redcliffe dyno and performance.
Mark's and the CRS kit both utilise OE style calipers and I believe this is not ideal, but for the $$$ mark's setup is hard to beat.
Mark from Redcliffe Dyno will do the fronts for $350 and rear disc setup for $250 from mem and my mem aint real great.
Front brakes run a 22mm thick, 256mm diametre vented rotor and a commodore caliper, and the rear brakes run complete commodore rotor and caliper and handbrake setup. To do the front I need the stubaxles off your car for a few days because I have to machine 2mm off the caliper mounting surface to get the caliper centre on the rotor. They all come with rebuilt calipers, brand new rotors and pads etc, and can organise to fit them if you wish. Can do slotted and crossdrilled rotors if you want but from memory adds about an extra $100 per corner and they dont give any signifacnt brake upgrade as the commodore sized brakes are more than adequate. On my best car I have the front and rear discs complianced, but on my other I dont and noones ever noticed ( from a legal standpoint ). Seeing as how they use unmodified components from other cars, engineer?fabrication is not reqd so engineers papers arent reqd only compliancing, if that makes sense.
Need minimum of 14 inch wheels to clear the brakes.
Exact specs of setup are
1. front - 22mm thick rotor, 256mm diameter. with a large single piston caliper.
2. rear - solid 10mm rotor with large single piston caliper with internal handbrake shoes.
These setups maintain the standard gemini stud pattern and wheel track. Have working examples that you can inspect if desired. Live in redcliffe, 1/2 north of brisbane cbd. Call me on 0401 322 100 if keen, Mark.
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: commodore brake kit... Reply with quote

You can get a kit from a VX, i've jus bought it myself and am gonna start fittin on the weekend, 300mm rotors and twin spot callipers. I got it from Hoppers stoppers, theres a variations available though, gem stud pattern, commodore stud pattern, slotted, cross drilled. My kit was slotted and inc postage was $950, check this website: http://www.hoppers.com.au should have all the info you need, i'll have some pics soon, and i can help ya if you need more info, fucken huge brakes but, you'll need big ass rims to fit over em too, and as far as i know you can get VL rears to fit, but noones helped me out on that one, i dunno whether they change your stud pattern or what is involved, hope that helps ya...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: