HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Subbies N Stuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasabi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Subbies N Stuff Reply with quote

Ok, I have a question....
Whats the stuff that you stick into your sub box to make it sound deeper? Is it foam? or like cotton wool or some shit like that?
What do ya stick in ya sub box to get PHAT Bass!!
Also, whats the best amp you would suggest to run 2 Sony 12" Xplod Subs??
(Yeah, Xplod's not great, but they will do)

Thanks Ladies
peteymate
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Subbies N Stuff Reply with quote

for starters, us blokes dont like being called ladies so if u keep that up u mightnt get any more responses. If u are making the box urself, the best thing i can say is make it to the right size. THe stuff that came with the sub should have something saying about recommended enclosure size. This will be in litres, just convert that to cm3 or something or m3 and you will be able to work out what size box u need by determining the volume of the box (length x width x depth) If u are putting 2 subs in a box together make sure the box is divided and completely sealed so that each section has only one sub in it otherwise they will cancel each other sound out a fair bit.

THe stuff u put in the box is just like the polyester padding stuff that craft people use to fill toys etc.

When looking for an amp, make sure it has a low-pass filter on it, and get a good brand name one like alpine or blaupunkt etc. I have a 4x55w RMS blaupunkt amp that u can bridge into about 2x130w RMS which i paid $299 for and it would run your subs well.

to sum everythign up, to get "phat bass" ur box needs to be up to standard. ALso a good amp will make all the difference

Pete
geminice
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Subbies N Stuff Reply with quote

dude if u want answers then dont call us blokes ladies
alright
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Subbies N Stuff Reply with quote

whats up dude,
check your subs to see if they are 4 ohm or 8 ohm. If they are 4 ohm, get a 4 channel amp and bridge the channels so they make 2 channels, if you get me, if they are 8 ohm subs, get a 2 channel amp and don't bridge anything. I used to have an Xplod 12" and i ran it off an audioline amp (2x300watts) and it sounded real nice, so I would probably go for an audioline 4x300 or a 2x600 (depending on whether your subbies are 4 ohm or 8 ohm. You can get these amps at JB-Hi-Fi and they are really cheap. Some people don't like them but they drive your subbies really hard. One of my mates has a 2x600 running 2 subs and the car puts out about 145db, so i reckon its worth giving them a go.

I think the stuff you line the box with is called insulwool. I think you can run the subs in a box that isn't divided in the centre to make 2 boxes that are joined but i am not sure, better check that one i think.

If you want deeper bass, make the box a bit bigger or possibly even port it, that is put a pipe through the side of the box incase you don't know. The smaller the box, the tighter the bass is, the bigger it is, the more booming it is but don't make it too big or too small, check the spec sheet that comes with your subs and work off that.

Good luck dude, i hope this helps
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Subbies N Stuff Reply with quote

i thought that stuff was called dacron.

in order to get "PHAT" bass, youll need to stick a pair of subs in your sub box, otherwise it wont make any sound princess.
Wasabi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Subbies N Stuff Reply with quote

Thanks for all that! I was looking at the sony amps before, and theres one there for $499 and its 2 channel, 150 watts RMS per channel I am sure that will be enough Bass for my pissy TE wagon to jump to!
Insuwool you say eh? Where do U get it from? Can you get it from Spotlight or any place like that? Or do I have to go to a car audio place and have them charge me an arm and a leg for it?

Thanks alot guys!
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Subbies N Stuff Reply with quote

that will be plenty of power. I think there is another sony amp that is 4x75rms aswell for about the same price. Go to a car audio place and have a look at the stuff inside the box so you know what you are looking for then go to spotlight and get it there. Are you in melbourne? If so, seriously consider going to jb hi-fi and looking at the audioline amps, one to run your subs would cost about half the amount of that sony amp and would put out more wattage. They have a really good crossover too.
Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: