HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Italian webber carbi?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BADGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Italian webber carbi? Reply with quote

hi guys I got a question I want to fit twin webbers as big as possible ? down draft.
I got a single webber put its not enough for me .
I got a mate who owns an alfa, and his got twin webbers,
would I be able to fit the webbers to my Gem?
most webbers are italian aint they any1 got any ideas?
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian webber carbi? Reply with quote

Yes you can put twin webers on a gemini, I have them on mine. There are italian made and also I think spanish manufacured webers available. Why do you want downdraught? as far as 4cyl engines are concerned sidedraught is a better option performnce wise. For sidedraughts you would need a TX remote brake resovior though, which is the only reason I can see that would sway you to use downdraughts instead. I also don't think you want to get them as big as possible, if the throats on your webers are too big then you lose too much airspeed and you will be down on power compared to what you could have been with a smaller set of webers so you don't want to go too big. Similar to an exhaust system you want to get the right balance between out and out size and practicality. Hope this helps.
FJ20DET
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian webber carbi? Reply with quote

down draft so he can have the filters poking out the bonnet Very Happy
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian webber carbi? Reply with quote

i would go down drafts as the flow better than side drafts for a gemini.

My gemini has been flowed with twin down drafts at 210Hp
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian webber carbi? Reply with quote

My head guy (Peter Liddle of Liddle Cylinder Head Engineering) concurs that Downdraughts (twin 44mm) flow better on geminis.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian webber carbi? Reply with quote

u mean agrees adam
a flow bench is a wonmderful thing but you dont win races on the bench u win them by using the bench
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian webber carbi? Reply with quote

hahaha, Peter asked me why I wanted to put that bucket of shit S-bend manifold on my gemi, when I took it to him to true it up! He's definitely a DD fan. Has a gemi for hill climbing is that right?
MrSHADOW
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian webber carbi? Reply with quote

I got my best HP results using twin 44mm DD Webbers on a FET intake manifold, the airspeed and atomisation of the fuel was better than with the twin SD Webbers I tested.

Spend a few extra $'s and get it flow tested, then hit the dyno and play around there with carby setups.
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian webber carbi? Reply with quote

I consider myself corrected!
My uncle has about 240HP out of his L20B in his datsun 1600 and he's using twin 45 DCOE9 webers (sidedraught) and he gave me the impression that sidedraught was much better for straight engines because the fuel flows straight in and downdraughts were better for V engines becaust the mixture flows straight down into the valley, obviously downdraughts work better on gems. Makes me glad I got my hands on a set of DD's and not SD's
rednipper
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian webber carbi? Reply with quote

well from wat i understand - my point of view
side drafts work GOOD on a engine that has a stright manifold or a straight sloping manifold
but becuase the gemini has a S shape manifold it ruins the flow charastics of the side drafts. and as the down drafts have a less bend in them this gives the better flow and probaly qwiker air velocity. and fast flowing air is wat helps make power Smile
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Italian webber carbi? Reply with quote

Power is good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: