HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

HELP! timing problem-----

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdwepn
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:15 am    Post subject: HELP! timing problem----- Reply with quote

gday
i have run into a problem with the timing with my 1600 motor,this is what happins
put crankshaft on tdc
put cam timing mark straight with casting mark
detension chain
install timing chain
ok i get up to here,then when im lining up the sprocket with the cam, after i have clicked the sprocket in, i notice that i have heeps of tension on the tensioners side and loose tension on the oposite side of the tensioner.
when i release the tensioner it only tensions the chain a tiny bit, then when i turn the crank the crank turns about 5-10 deg (this how far the crank turns till the slack is takin out of the chain oppisite to the tensioner then my timing is out 5 to 10 degrees before the f*cking cam starts to move,
i have tryed to shift teeth on the top sprocket and the crank sprocket but the only way the thing goes on is with too much slack on the right side of the chain,
i have read through the gemini book and i cant see why this isnt going together properly..
has anybody got any ideas?
what am i doing wrong please help!

cheerz 4 all replys
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! timing problem----- Reply with quote

With both in the TDC position just make sure the bright links on the chain line up with the dots on the sprockets the it doesnt matter if the crank shaft turns to take out the slack of the chain. If you cant see the dots or bright links give every thing a thorough clean. Hope this helps. Simon.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! timing problem----- Reply with quote

Could be a few problems causing this. one thing to check is that when the crankshaft pulley's notch lines up with 0 on the timing cover, that the piston is actully at the top of its stroke (TDC), if not, then your pulley might be the prob.

The most likely cause is that you have had the head and/or the block machined to increase compression, remove a warp in the head, clean the head, or reduce deck height of the block.

this will cause what you are describing (retarded cam timing) and the real way to fix it is to install a vernier timing set, so you can advance or retard the cam timing.

You should be able to line the two notches on the cam shaft and bearing unit, and the notch on the crankshaft pulley up to 0 on the timing cover, install everything, rotate the engine backwards (ccw) a little bit, reinstate the timing chain tensioner, and then rotate the engine forwards (c.w.) and the marks should all line up, which is not what you are describing.

Another cause I just remembered is a stretched timing chain.

As there are 36 teeth on the cam gear, then moving by one tooth will be 10 degrees, which might cure your problem, you could also try that.

Ben Wight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: