HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

crank angle sensors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: crank angle sensors Reply with quote

to all of you out there with efi, i direct this.

with regards to fitting an efi system [custom built, so brand name un-important], what is the best value for money crank angle sensor?
a mate of mine [jeff] told me that the ford au2 falcon ones were ok, i just wanna know if anyone out there has found a better value one.
thanks,
rob.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: crank angle sensors Reply with quote

depends on what sort of injection you want to run, sequential or batch fire.

if you want to run batch fire, then you dont need a crank angle sensor, you can use the standard dizzy. If you want to run sequential, then you need a special sort of sensor that has two pickups, one for a trigger (as per the normal type of sensor) and an extra one for TDC. This is so the computer not only knows when to fire an injector, but also which one, as it knows where TDC is. If you wanted one like this, then the only way I have done it is to use a TR Magna distributor, as it has both sensors built in. then you get it machined to fit into gem timing cover, and get gem dizzy shaft grafted to magna one.

if you want computer cotrolled ignition as well, then once again, it depends what type of ignition, normal (single coil), or wasted spark/direct fire (multiple coil). The magna dizzy will work for either type, but you could use a typical falcommodore sensor for just normal ignition. I think certain sensors will have both triggers though, I know one of the later falcon ones does, I think AU?? whichever ones have multiple coil packs.

Ben Wight
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: crank angle sensors Reply with quote

thanks ben.
ill get the full details of the capabilities of jeff's ecu, then we can work out the best way to go from there.

i would think that sequential firing injectors would be the way to go, and i think that the coil packs would be better for precise tuning anyways.

cheers mate,
rob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: