HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Repainting the body

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThraxteR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 12:48 am    Post subject: Repainting the body Reply with quote

Hey guys

I am able to get my hands on a comphressor and airgun. I was just wondering wats the best way to go about striping and then repainting the car?
Sand back to bare metal, then go over in primer, couple coats, then final, then buff??

Thanks guys

ThraX1
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Repainting the body Reply with quote

okay here is what i'm doin atm if any1 says i'm doin it wrong tell me, k i'm using 140grit with the orbital to chop the paint back mostly 2 the original primer but if it's cracked go back to metal, then i use 140grit wetanddry to smooth it (always use a sanding block!) to get all lines and cracks etc. out. Then i am applying 3 coats of primer, blocking it back lightly with wet and dry 400grit, then putting another 3 coats of primer on and smoothing that out with 1200grit wet and dry(comes up fully heaps smooth). this is what i'm up to at the moment, but for the rest i will basicly b following mooches way :

apply 5 coats of colour, let it harden, block it back with 1500grit wet and dry, apply 10 coats of clear and lightly block a coat or so off with 2000grit wet and dry, buff her up give her some cut and polish or whateva and there ya have it.

MY SUGGESTIONS:
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Repainting the body Reply with quote

okay here is what i'm doin atm if any1 says i'm doin it wrong tell me, k i'm using 140grit with the orbital to chop the paint back mostly 2 the original primer but if it's cracked go back to metal, then i use 140grit wetanddry to smooth it (always use a sanding block!) to get all lines and cracks etc. out. Then i am applying 3 coats of primer, blocking it back lightly with wet and dry 400grit, then putting another 3 coats of primer on and smoothing that out with 1200grit wet and dry(comes up fully heaps smooth). this is what i'm up to at the moment, but for the rest i will basicly b following mooches way :

apply 5 coats of colour, let it harden, block it back with 1500grit wet and dry, apply 10 coats of clear and lightly block a coat or so off with 2000grit wet and dry, buff her up give her some cut and polish or whateva and there ya have it.

MY SUGGESTIONS:
try not to block the original paint back to metal unless your going to spray it within three hours or it'll rust, get a spray painting book they are really good, get your body straight b4 u start spraying the colour(nuthin looks crapier than a newly sprayed car wid tiny trolley dints down the side = shit house). Use a sanding block cause if ya don't your fingerprints indentations will come up on the colour. I think mooch should do a workshop article on basic steps of spraying, last two tips, make sure u finish what u start and preperation(sanding,primer,filling) is the key to a nice lookin car.

anything wrong here???????? any other suggestions?Mooch?

chris...
ThraxteR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Repainting the body Reply with quote

chris

what do u mean by block??
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Repainting the body Reply with quote

block= rubbing back with sandpaper using a block(wooden, plastic ect...) if u don't have 1 go to an auto or hardware store and ask em 4 a sanding block , will range between $5 and $15.

chris...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: